Have you bought new equipment just for roon?

Yup. Expensively too. Replaced Aurender server and an old DAC with Lumin U1 server and Bricasti M3 DAC, added optical switch and ethernet and Sonore optical gizmo. Sensationally improved sound. All started with wanting to run Roon on my main system…

I am still experimenting but so far I like what I am hearing…

I just dicided I’m going to hate Bluesound Node 2i with the latest firmware 3.8.3. It is not working well with Roon.

I’m going to buy an Auralic Aries G1. Maybe a something RPI4 based too. In any case, it must support wireless.

1 Like

Maybe a better question would be if anyone HASN’T bought new equipment for Roon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Didn’t need to add anything other than a server to host Roon and the tunes.

A Nucleus to host the Roon server, and a Rock64 to serve as a Roon bridge in my bedroom.

What exactly is a “Rock64”?

https://www.pine64.org/devices/single-board-computers/rock64/

It’s essentially a small credit-card-sized computer running smartphone chips and capable of running Linux, and thus Roon Bridge. Sort of like a Raspberry Pi.

Thank you! It looks very interesting. I will be doing some research. I see a rabbit hole in my future :thinking:

I purchased my PS Audio DSD with Bridge II card because of Roon. I also tried a Sonore opticalRendu as anything added to my system has to be Roon ready.

There is no panacea those of us who are ocd. I have Roon ROCK installed on a dedicated Nuc and still, every once in a while, I get a “Lost Connection” to my dedicated Ipad interface. This can be for a few reasons and it usually is not Roon’s or the Nuc’s fault.

Last time it happened, the Ipad decided on it’s own to switch to a different network (I have more than one) and once I figured it out I made the Ipad forget the second network. To me, anything that involves a wireless network is also going to involve some trouble shooting from time to time.

2 Likes

Truer words have rarely been spoken. This is why the Knowledge Base recommends Ethernet. I use a mix of both WiFi and Ethernet and sound quality wise there is no difference but while Ethernet is always rock solid, WiFi can be quite flaky at times.

2 Likes