Having an issue with Duplicates

Many of my tracks are duplicates. Seems Roon has taken the actual CD copy (on the drive where I’ve saved them), and also a duplicate in the iTunes media folder. The ones from the iTunes media folders show as primary by default, but the files do not play. I need to manually switch to the other version in order to be able to play it.

I did not have this issue a few weeks ago. What happened? How can I solve it?

Hi @Cemil – sorry for the trouble here. Can you let me know what operating system you’re using?

Also, unless I’m misunderstanding your question, I’m wondering if there’s any reason you’re set up to watch the same files twice?

If you have playlists in iTunes you want synced to Roon, I’m not sure why you’d also want to watch the files directly, unless iTunes only contains a subset of the music on your drive.

If you don’t have anything in iTunes you want to sync, it probably makes the most sense to just watch the files directly, but let me know if I’m misunderstanding your setup (along with what OS you’re using) and we’ll figure out what’s going on here.

Sorry for the trouble here @Cemil!

Hi Mike,

I’m using OSX.

I think that might be the issue. I think the system is watching both the iTunes files and the files directly. All files should be in iTunes, so that should not be an issue.

However, that would explain why I have duplicates, but why would the iTunes not play? Basically, after I press the Play button, I briefly get the message ‘playing 1 track’ (or something like that), but nothing happens. No track is loaded on the bottom of the screen, nothing is played. Same if I click Play Album.

Ok, thanks for the additional information @Cemil.

Some recent changes in iTunes have caused a few issues for our iTunes syncing feature, and there are some bug fixes that will go live in our forthcoming 1.1 release. That said, we tried to reproduce your issue in house and we’re not able to see the same behavior.

I’d be happy to look into this further but I would be interested to know if there’s any change if you stop watching the files directly. Do you mind disabling the watched folder that contains the same files as iTunes, and see if things improve?

If things are unchanged, can you send me a private message and we’ll get some logs from you to confirm exactly what’s happening here.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble!

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been away and have not been able to test. I stopped watching the iTunes folder and all seems to be fine now. I’ve chosen to do that because I have files on 3 different drives. I suppose the alternative would be to cancel watching anything except the iTunes folder, but then I am not sure how that is organized.

Will come back if any further issues.

Cheers