Having trouble connecting to NAS network share

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MAC OS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple Time Capsule NAS Wi-fi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

BlueSound wireless

Description Of Issue

I just signed up and having trouble connecting my NAS. I’ve tried every type of combination for my network share location but it wouldn’t take anything. I tried copying what I have for Bluesound and VLC but those aren’t working either. I’ve had my Bluesound hooked up to my NAS for years so I know it works well. Any guidance is appreciated.

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

I have a few follow-up questions for you:

• Can you share a screenshot of the error message you’re being presented with when trying to add the NAS?
  • Have you used our Add Folders By Path guide to add this share to Roon?
  • Have you inputted the username/password properly?
  • Is Roon added as an exception to your OSX firewall? You can use these instructions to check.

– Noris

Hi Norris,
Yes I’ve tried all of those. I’m not really sure what my network path address is so I’m just going off what I use for Bluesound. Here is a screen shot:

Here is what it looks like on Bluesound:

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

It looks like you have the correct share address set up but you are being presented with an “Unauthorized” message, so I would take a closer look at the credentials you have there.

You just have a password there but no username, do you recall setting up a username for that NAS share? Typically I have seen the username be “guest” or “admin” but it is possible that it’s different on your share so I would double check.

– Noris

OK so I was able to find the network path and it seems to have completed syncing the folder, but I have noticed several, and likely many more, albums completely missing from Roon, but are in the same folder it was syncing from. I cross referenced with Bluesound controller and they show up there, so it doesn’t make sense. I tag all my albums correctly and it seems Roon would be able to pick these up. There is nothing unique that I can see about the files that are missing.

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

Can you please share some screenshots of the albums you are seeing on the Bluesound controller vs the ones that are missing from Roon? Have you checked Skipped Files in Roon Settings? Do they by any chance show up there?

– Noris

Is there any way we can do this over the phone, or JoinMe? It’s a lot of back and forth and i feel like by the time we figure it out my trial will be almost over.

Here are a couple screen shots per your request:

Thank you

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

Please do not worry about the trial time remaining Joshua, we can reset it for you once we resolve these issues.

We do not offer phone/JoinMe support but we would be more than happy to assist you right here on the Community website. When we resolve issues on Community, it ensures that our entire team has access to the discussion and can weigh in as needed. This means that not only can our support team contribute, but so can our QA team, developers, and senior staff.

Going back to the issue at hand: have you checked Roon Settings -> Skipped Folders yet? Do those tracks by any chance show up there? What if you manually specify the folder that contains these albums and add it as a watched folder location, does anything change?

– Noris

OK, I understand. I did check skipped folders and none are currently listed. I also tried to access the folders that are missing under “settings>choose music storage folder” but I didn’t not see the files that are missing in there either, including both the one’s I sent screen shots for. I don’t understand why so many are missing when I sync the time capsule to Roon. It doesn’t make any sense, especially when Bluesound picks them up without issue.

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

Have you made sure to add both folder paths to your Roon Settings -> Storage locations? It looks like you have your library split into two, one part on the \\JDGTC\Data share and another on \\MACBOOKAIR-6AFE\Music share. Are the albums missing perhaps from your Macbook share? Have you tried to reboot your Core and the behavior is the same?

– Noris

It only takes one folder path, \\JDGTC\Data. It won’t accept the other, but they aren’t split in two, at least they shouldn’t be. I can access in Finder all my files on the time capsule, and Bluesound and Plex can as well. The only time anything goes missing is when Roon scans it. I even disabled the network in Roon and created the network share again but the same thing happened. My core is through the mac I am on. I tried to “reboot” but I’m not sure how to do that. This is getting ridiculous. Is this really the only way to get support? You’re asking $500 for your product, and it’s been a week and counting just to get the basic functionality set up?

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

Yes, this forum is the only way to get support from us and I’m confident we can get to the bottom of the issue here on community. There is something preventing Roon from seeing the locations of these albums and we just need to figure out what this is.

As for a follow-up step, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Once these are received, I will be passing them on to the QA team for closer inspection.

I understand you are frustrated here, but please hang in there, we solve issues for many users each day and we are a relatively small team. As I mentioned before, we would be happy to reset the clock on your trial once we get this issue sorted out.

– Noris

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

I just spoke to the QA team regarding your case and they have identified two possibly problematic directories on your NAS share. Can I please ask you to do the following steps?

1. Copy these folders from your Roon watched folder to another location on the NAS that Roon is not watching:
/Music/Don Cherry Terry Riley Koln Concert 2.23.75
/Music/Axiom Ambient Lost in the Translation [Disc1]
  1. Delete these folders from the original Roon watched folder
  2. Check to see if the albums that were previously missing now appear
  3. Add the copied folders back to where they originally were and see if they appear in Roon without any troubles

Thanks,
Noris

When I go to copy them, it shows the folder as being empty. Am I grabbing it from the right place?:

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 2.44.24 PM

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

You should be performing the above steps by using OSX Finder or by using the typical application you use to connect to that NAS share, not in Roon.

– Noris

I’ve removed those folders completely from my NAS. There doesn’t seem to be any change. They both still show in Roon and even play. I closed and reopened the app a few times but it still reads the folders even though I removed them from the NAS. This screen shot is after I removed them from the NAS.

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 4.01.56 PM

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

Sorry to hear that there is no change after removing those folders. This seems very atypical, if you moved the folders out of your watched location, there should be no way for Roon to play these files. Did you perhaps move them into another Roon watched folder such as your Mac’s Music directory? You can check to see what folders Roon is watching by going to Roon Settings -> Storage and it should look something like this:

The thinking here was that something about these two folders are causing issues with Roon discovering your other files which you mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Diagnostics mode is still enabled for your account, but I have not seen any new reports come in. I’d like to get a fresh set of logs over to QA again with these folders removed, can you reboot the app once more so that it will hopefully re-establish communication with our servers?

– Noris

I was able to locate more copies of those folders elsewhere in my computer and have since delated those, so now they are no longer showing up in roon. I didn’t find any of the missing files though. What should I do now?

Hi @Joshua_Gibbs,

Thanks for removing those files. I can confirm that the new diagnostics package from your machine has reached us and I am not seeing any of the similar traces that I have seen before regarding those folder paths so I have forwarded the new set of logs to QA for analysis.

While I wait to hear back from them, can you please provide the full path to the two albums that are not appearing? E.g. JDGTC\Data\XX\YY?

I also do see some continued background activity in your Roon, it is possible that the NAS is still being scanned and they will pop up at a later point. I will be sure to let you know more once I hear back from QA regarding their analysis.

– Noris