HCan I force RoPieee to connect to the 5Ghz band when both 2.4 and 5 are available?

If I have a wifi network with a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz sharing the same SSID, is there a way to force RoPieee to connect to the 5Ghz only? Other than setting up the router so that it broadcasts two separate SSIDs, of course.

How does Ropiee determine which band to connect to? The distance from the router isn’t much, but there is a lot more congestion and interference on 2.4Ghz.

What is the typical recommendation in these cases: let Ropiee manage the wifi by itself, broadcast two separate SSIDs for the two bands, tinker with some settings?

Thanks!

Are you experiencing issues with 2.4GHz? Typically, you’ll get the band with with best quality connection and this is handled by the router not the RPi. Also, 2.4GHz is better in certain situations (range and obstacles such as walls) and more than adequate for streaming high-quality audio.

So, I wouldn’t be concerned unless you have specific problems.

Just thinking ahead, because I haven’t received my Hifiberry yet!

I was thinking about bands because the experience with Sonos has been absolutely terrible; my concern is not about bandwidth but about congestion and interference. I don’t know if the Sonos performed so badly because of 2.4Ghz congestion, or simply because their wifi antenna sucks, but it’s a thought I have had.

Are you sure it’s the router which decides the band? Routers can disconnect a device if the strength of the signal is below a certain threshold, but I was under the impression that it’s always the device which decides the network to connect to. Any colour you may have on this would be very useful, thanks!

A dual band router will usually switch between bands automatically; some will change channel too if they detect issues. The RPi is connecting to the SSID not the underlying band.

If you have an issue, create a new 5G-only SSID or Virtual LAN for streaming.

I always give them different SSIDs as I want to choose which band to connect a device.

Mac filtering also works. Deny the device access to the 2.5 g net and it wil join the 5 ghz all the time