HDMI output not passing audio

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Intel i7 NUC connected to my WI-FI network.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
WiFi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Oppo 103.

Description Of Issue
I’m just starting Roon trial. Please help.

I’m trying to get Roon to audio output via HDMI to my Oppo 103. My NUC has 2 HDMI outs, 1 connected to TV/DISPLAY and the other connected to my Oppo.

I get the display on my TV fine. Roon doesn’t even see that the NUC is connected to my BD player or recognise it as a DAC. It doesn’t come up in my audio options.

Audirvana, Qobuz, & Tidal display/connect to ALL my connected devices, be they HDMI or USB.

Is Roon unable to connect through HDMI?

Thanks and please pardon my ineptitude!

Hello @kurt_schulwitz,

Roon is certainly capable of transmitting audio over HDMI, let’s figure out what’s going on here.

If you select the Oppo as your “System Output” device in the Windows Sound Settings, are you able to hear audio from Roon when you play to the “System Output” zone in Settings > Audio?

It would be helpful if you could upload a screenshot of the Settings > Audio screen. You can attach an image to your post by click on the little picture icon that appears when you open a new post/reply.

-John

I had 2 HDMI cables coming out of the NUC, one to display/TV the other HDMI in on Oppo.

I removed the direct connection to the TV. Now I’m getting display AND audio to my Oppo.

I’m running video HDMI from the Oppo to the TV, and audio HDMI to my Integra Processor. So it’s working now, but when I run Audirvana, Qobuz, and Tidal I don’t need to bring video into my audio chain at all. They all recognise my Oppo as a DAC.

It’s late now at least I got it working in a somewhat convoluted fashion. I’ll try to figure more out tomorrow Thanks for the response. I’ll be back tomorrow.

Hi John. THANKS! I figured it all out today by going through Windows settings, Roon audio settings, enabling, disabling, and unplugging/plugging different HDMI connections see where the signals were going. As bad as Audirvana is, that part actually seems more intuitive.

My next task is to find out what the 4 switch settings in advanced device settings do and how I should set them. They’re all enabled at this point. a little info icon next to each of them with a brief sentence as to what they do would be very helpful to old farts like me.

Also, can (or is) audio info be displayed for each track? IE. MQA or not, sampling frequency, bit depth, bitrate etc. I realize it could be right in front of me and I’m not seeing it.

Should I be asking these questions in individual posts for each one?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the edit. I’ll try to adhere to the format. As I said, pardon my ineptitude.