Headphone settings for parametric and convolution equalizer

Not sure if posted before, but here you can find settings for a lot of headphones.

AutoEq: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

You can set up 5 to 10 parameters (manual job = boring), or use .wav files for convolution.

There are two wav-files for each headphone for 44.1 and 48 kHz. Download, put the two in a .zip file, and point the Roon convolution filter to it.

34 Likes

Example for Audeze LCD-X:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting @rockphotog - that looks well worth exploring.

Having played around a little I’ll confirm that these have given some good results across my 2 pairs of mid-range headphones (Senn HD558 and Shure SE425). Worth exploring and giving this post a bit of love.

1 Like

Thanks for this.

Finally got around to exploring this. Mind. Blown. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I just tried this and I get a message saying “failed to parse audio file” ?

Happy to try to help but a little more info needed. Which file(s) were you trying to load up and how?

Same here… seems like I’m downloading .htm files instead of .wav files when I do “save target as…”.

I must be missing something :slight_smile:

Hi @pscreed I think I can help, you’re not downloading the raw filter data from GitHub. I’ll show a quick walkthrough. Go to the results page, scroll down and find your headphones, in my case for my Shure 425 IEMs and follow the link:

You’ll see something similar to below, it’s the two WAV files Shure SE425 minimum phase 44100Hz.wav & Shure SE425 minimum phase 48000Hz.wav you want:

You can click on each WAV file as a link, don’t try to download yet, it’ll take you to a page like so:

Now you can right click the Download button and “save target as” and you’ll get the WAV filter, rather than the actual web page. Grab both WAVs, put them in a ZIP file and upload to Roon.

Good luck…

12 Likes

Well I feel like a dope - I’ve now downloaded the required files and Roon is not complaining when loading them. I look forward to checking out this great resource.

I’d like to express my appreciation not only for your OP, but also for taking the time to help me out with your very clear instructions and screen shots - that is way above and beyond. Thanks very much!

No worries fella, happy to assist, though it’s not my thread, you have @rockphotog to thank for that. I’m really sweet on these and never listen to Roon and headphones without them now. Audibly improved all three pairs of phones I’ve used them with. Enjoy

2 Likes

So right, thanks OP!

2 Likes

I was doing the same thing.
Will try the correct method later.
Thanks so much!

No problem, figured it might be the same issue and hence was worth spending a little time on the reply. I suspect you’ll like…

1 Like

Hi and thank you for this post.

I have recently ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD800S and I found the same description as the example you gave for Audeze:

“In case of using parametric equalizer, apply preamp of -6.4dB and build filters manually with these parameters. The first 5 filters can be used independently.
When using independent subset of filters, apply preamp of -6.4dB.”

And below the actual settings for HD800S:

Type Fc Q Gain
Peaking 24 Hz 1.12 5.7 dB
Peaking 57 Hz 2.43 2.8 dB
Peaking 5633 Hz 6.28 -4.7 dB
Peaking 12497 Hz 3.3 -6.5 dB
Peaking 18958 Hz 0.64 -8.1 dB
Peaking 79 Hz 1.82 1.3 dB
Peaking 210 Hz 0.6 -2.0 dB
Peaking 1745 Hz 1.59 2.6 dB
Peaking 3473 Hz 3.75 1.9 dB
Peaking 14240 Hz 3.19 -0.6 dB

If they say “The first 5 filters can be used independently”, does this mean that in Roon, my actual Parametric EQ for the HD800S will contain only the first 5 bands? Or should I put all 10 bands ?

Also, what is the difference between Parametric EQ and Convolution filters? Do I need to enable both?

Thank you,
Andrei.

Hi @Andrei_Golea, I’m not sure how often the OP replies and I’m a bit obsessed by these. The “independent first five” are for equalizers lacking sufficient nodes. Roon handles 20 so go for all 10 OR use the WAV convolution filters instead. These are equivalent but no typing required. Depending on your GitHub smarts this can be a little trickier. I put instructions in an earlier post in this thread.

Enjoy…

shame they are missing my AKG550 mkiii the older models eq does not fit mine, got the se425 one sounds so much better with it.

1 Like

Thanks this is great

Just tried both the 10 band parametric EQ settings entering them manually as well as the zip file with the 2 WAV files as a convolution filter.

You mention both are similar in terms of filtering the signal for my headphones. However, on the site of AutoEQ its mentioned: Convolution equalizer settings are finite impulse responses (FIR filters) and are the most advanced kind of (LTI) filters…

Ive been out of school too long to remember how infinte impulse response filters differ from parametric EQs :wink: but the text seems to suggest using the Convolution is the best. Is that not the case?

BTW For me the volume reduces quite a bit when using the convolution filter compared to the parametric EQ. I had to boost the signal to my headphones by setting a 6 dB gain in “speaker setup”. Is that the best to go around it?
Instead of a headphone amp Im using a chromecast audio driving a massdrop HD58x. Quite happy with the sound for such a low budget setup!

Hi @Patrick_Borger, welcome to the Roon forums. You’re right regarding convolution filters, but I see the purpose of this thread as keeping the subject accessible and helping folk get started with these. I’m not expert but this article is a good primer.

The volume reduction is to allow headroom during transformation, i.e. a filter can push the level too high and cause clipping. If you’re adding volume via Roon’s DSP this could cause the same issue. The parametric EQs come with a suggested volume adjustment in the text before the table, e.g. “apply preamp of -7.5dB“, perhaps you overlooked it? I use a similar setup to yours but use a Chord Mojo between Chromecast and headphones as a DAC, but it also provides a decent headphone amp.

2 Likes