Headphone settings for parametric and convolution equalizer

So the work that jaakkopasannen has done is really wide-ranging. The presented filters are the tip of the iceberg really, he’s also written code that produces these from a variety of measurement sources to a target of your choice. The only issue is that you need to be pretty tech-savvy to get this working, his approach is an “itch scratching” one and he’s a bright guy. I’m currently working to put a web service / GUI wrapper around the generation code to allow non-devs to use it. It’s a hobby project for me so as and when, but I’m keen. I’ll post more here as I get more working (don’t hold your breath with current work commitments :wink: ) and create a thread when it’s ready.

If custom filters were a little more accessible then you’d at least have options, but currently if you don’t like the offered filter the next step is a little daunting unless you’re comfortable with Python programming.

1 Like

@Michael_Harris , Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head ‘a products Signature Sound’. Had tried a lot of headphones inc. the usual subjects. But the AKG K812 headphones where quick to impress me and quick settle into them - the most balanced and detailed sounding + vocals where IMH a step ahead. We all hear things differently. A big ‘Hats off to you Sir’ jaakkopasannen for the big effort and spreading joy to the users.

2 Likes

I’ve got around 6 top end 'phones. I’m really enjoying the help from killdozer in implementing the various modifications to their profile sounds. I wonder if the end result might be that they all sound the same?
HD 800s - MDR Z1R - Elegia - T1/2 etc etc…?

2 Likes

Ian only you will be able to tell us that, but I am sure we would be interested to find out.

Mike

So there’s an element of truth to this. In reality headphones with a bigger frequency range and faster drivers will still perform better. There’s no right answer, personally I look for as close to neutral sound as possible, but that’s not everyone’s aim.

1 Like

I’ve gone back to no DSP again on both systems. It just sounds more engaging this way. Was hitting loads of albums that just lost all their mojo Turned off DSP It was all back. Im done with it again.

2 Likes

Same, I did a fair bit of experimenting and decided I prefer the signature or my headphones without DSP. Was a temporary wow moment, “this sounds amazing”. This was with MBP >> USB >> Chord Mojo >> Liquid Platinum >> Ether 2 headphones.

Edit: I need to wake up, keep clicking the wrong reply button, this was in response to CrystalGipsy

1 Like

I have come to a definite conclusion after implementing the convolution files referenced by killdozer.
I used my Chord Hugo2-2Go to listen to Senn HD800S - Sony MDR Z1R - Beyerdynamic T1/2 - Focal Elegia - Sony IER Z1R. My listening was mainly symphonic orchestral, solo voice and solo piano pieces. All the phones showed a substantial ‘improvement’ except for Focal Elegia, which I have felt to be a lost cause for quite some time anyway. The ‘improvements’ are better clarity in the upper mid range which I feel is a worthwhile change for all the brands, but the change in the in-ear Sony IER Z1R is outstanding. The feeling of presence is greatly enhanced with them. Concert hall/venue ambience has become incredible with a feeling of much longer awareness of decaying sound.
Please note that all this is through 80 years old ears which are also plagued with tinnitus. Nevertheless I do know good sound and have not forgotten the sound of an orchestra in a concert-hall despite only hearing recordings for a long time.
I intend to get back to the music now rather than fiddling - for a while at least.
The source for the above is Qobuz via Apple MacMini as RoonCore. I also run a Chord Qutest DAC and Lehmann Linear amp and the above conclusions, not surprisingly, are borne out.

3 Likes

Ian thanks for that feedback, that is great.
Interesting that others have not enjoyed these convolution filters on Focal’s either (I assume people seem to like the Focal house sound, and this is too much of an impact, but just my assumption).

Well I have a new set of HiFiman Ananda’s awaiting dispatch so I will compare them directly to Sundaras and see the before and after across 2 headphones. I could not do that with the AKG 712 Pros as they already sound so different.

Given that you have a much larger collection of headphones than me, do you think they bring them closer to a similar sound signature or just a more natural sound for each of the headphones (or something completely different).

2 Likes

I believe that you will be pleasantly pleased with the Ananda. I find the sound qualities, that I enjoy, are better than other open back phones, from HiFiMan, and even other manufacturers. The price point just happens to be a bonus. Roon DSP and the convo filters available provide other ways to enjoy them, depending on the music selection and the head amp.

1 Like

Andrew I think I will too. I already like the Sundara’s but they push the Matrix just a little hard with the convo filters turned on. These look much easier to drive.
I feel like having done a lot of homework on this, moving up to the next level was not worth it, especially as I was planning on getting a pair of Meze 99 Classic closed back as well

I also have quite a few upper end headphones and have only begun using convolution filters via Roon. So far my observation is that for the most part the changes imparted to the sound of the headphones by the convolution filters is rather subtle but noticeable and does not seem to change overall sound of the headphone. In other words a Sennheiser HD820 still sounds an HD820 just a bit more refined. So the “house sound” of a given headphone is still there but just a little smoothed out.

So short answer: even with the convolution filters the headphones most definitely don’t all sound the same.

1 Like

See my post of today.

So do you agree that adding a convolution filter does not so much change the sound but rather improves the sound. I can still hear that a Sennheiser is a Sennheiser and a Beyerdynamic is still a Beyerdynamic. By the way I even found a filter for the Sonoma Model One. However filtered or unfiltered the Sonoma is heavenly.

Improves the sound - yes, in the case of the particular convolution files I tried. The only phones I did not find better was my Focal Elegia - these have always been a disappointment for me.

2 Likes

First item from the To Do list To Done. The landing page now lists the recommended filters across all sources, rather than just Oratory. This makes over three and half thousand results available rather than the four hundred available before. I’ve also added a dropdown menu of results by source so you can browse all of the available results if you want to. Some time in April:

OK:

https://phones.killdozer.uk/

Thanks @Michael_Harris

7 Likes

idiot here. have a pair of focal clears that i picked up year before last, and was so underwhelmed they’ve been gathering dust while my ancient dt 770’s keep cranking out the tunes

so convolution filters could be the answer?

how do i set up the dsp with the conv. files (44.1 & 48)?

can they both be in the same dsp preset?

do they alter the sound from 96 / 192 files as well?

advice and help gratefully accepted

There’s a link to @killdozer’s site above.

This link will download the appropriate filter for your Focal Clears.

Go to the DSP screen for your chosen endpoint. You’ll need to click on “Add Filter” and then “Convolution”. You’ll be told that there’s no current filter. Next to that you’ll see “Browse”. Click on this and navigate to the place you saved the downloaded filter.

When this is loaded up you’ll need to save the preset (top of the DSP screen). The download contains both 44.1 & 48, so you’ll be all set. Roon automatically uses the correct setting.

96 and 192 both work from 48. 44.1 would be used for 88.2 files. But, as I say, Roon does this for you.

Another alternative would be to use the parametric equaliser. Here’s a link to the oratory1990 settings for the Clears. If you use these settings don’t forget to enable “Headroom management” on DSP, entering the stated pre-amp gain of -4.9 dB into this field.

3 Likes

ok, there’s a noticeable improvement…wow

thank you, @SukieInTheGraveyard, for your help

also, @killdozer, thanks for your work

4 Likes

This is marvelous. And I got it to work on my Mac, which is my Roon core. I understand that you cannot load convolution profiles from within Roon on iOS.

But my stereo is upstairs and my computer is downstairs. Going back to my iPad to control Roon, if I switch off the convolution filter (because I want to listen on my speakers) Roon seems to “forget” the last filter I was using… going back to “none”.

I have to go back downstairs and use my computer to reload it.

It’s cool that they cannot be loaded in iOS… But I wish they wouldn’t be forgotten.

Is there anything else I could do?