Headphones thread (show us yer cans)!

I understand “cheaper” and “closed back” however I need some clarification on “travelling”. Are you looking for headphones to use while in transit, as in while on a train or airplane, or just headphones to use while away from home, as in while in hotel room? Or perhaps both situations apply.

For use while in transit you might need headphones with noise cancellation to equal the sound isolation you would get from IEMs. There aren’t too many headphones with noise cancellation that merit using the Mojo2 since so many ANC headphones are Bluetooth. That doesn’t mean that the headphones won’t sound pretty good, just that the Mojo2 would be overkill.

There are many good closed back headphones for use away from home that merit using the Mojo2. Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow, Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro, Beyerdynamic T5p and, for a bit more money, the Meze Liric. I’m sure that others here will gladly add many more to the list.

4 Likes

Mojo and custom fit in ears - travel bliss.

1 Like

I don’t doubt it. Just remember to use responsibly. :grin:

1 Like

Don’t forget the 800s are 300 ohms , they take a bit of driving.

I use my good old Audiolab M-DAC which runs via a RPI . It runs normally -15 db with a max of +3db so it has plenty of space.

At our local Sennheiser agent yesterday I auditioned the 800s with the matching Sennheiser HDV820 amp. WANT WANT WANT , it was superb it had power to spare on both the 800 and 800s . They required different volume settings on the same source so probably different efficiencies. The 800s needed more power.

As a total aside …

The Sennheiser agent also had a pair of the HE1 Orpheus , the Sennheiser No Expense Spared (1.2 M Rand = USD 80 k) , they simply don’t have the infrastructure to demo them properly but they look abs fab . Funnily they didn’t sound too much better then the 800s to me (BUT). The sexy marble slab and the self raising valves were amazing but at that price … Apparently Elon Musk has a pair. They made only 199 pairs !!

Ah well back to planet earth …

6 Likes

I would love to save up and audition the HDV820 although if I have a DAC already it would be good to have just the amp. I know there is/was an amp only one in the range.

I will never save enough for the marble madness, but can dream.

1 Like

the amp only (800?) has gone they just do the Amp/DAC 820 now

1 Like

Bought with the money he found in the cushions of his sofa or maybe just some spare change he had in his pockets. :laughing:

Thanks for the info.

Travelling will be somewhere I can’t take the big box of Sennheiser and where noise would ruin the sound. So long train journeys, maybe planes and also trips to work/play away like when I do a couple of days work at the in laws before a long weekend. It may also include using the Mojo in the garden.

IEMs are likely to win, but I won’t exclude closed-back until I’ve tried them.

I love the sweatshirt the Clear wears. Where can I buy one?

1 Like

Try the Sony 1000 M4 , or wait for the M5.

I use Bose QC 25 . The QC 35 are wireless and just as good.

Both noise canceling, wireless and over ear

the amp to drive my 009’s

Playing the 2nd album since I got it today, this amp is worth the wait and every penny it cost.

9 Likes

@Magnus_WIDELL which headphone for which use or music type?

Astell & Kern AK UW100

3 Likes

Nearing end game over ears setup (just the Jotunheim to upgrade if ever needed): Roon → RPi4 → Chord Qutest ->Schiit Jotunheim → Sennheiser HD 800 S

End game IEM setup: Roon → Chord Mojo2Poly → Sennheiser IE 600

8 Likes

Hiya Michael I’m not sure if I replied I’m still not sure how to work this site lol.

These headphones sound incredible. So far they sound fantastic with all genres played but there’s one I just can not stop playing and that is scorpions acoustica. The tone of the acoustic guitars is just so moreish. Bass is beautifully deep full sounding but never gets in the way of everything else. Voices are so clear on both male and female.

As far as I’m concerned these headphones are keepers, very very addictive sound.

A some point I will be changing my interconnect cables. I’ve been using Tellurium Q Ultra Black 2 but will be getting the Black Diamonds plus the Eufonika H22M headphone amplifier I use will be getting upgraded with better capacitors and volume control.

These ZMF headphones are truly special. I bought mine second hand and so far they’ve been the stand out purchase I’ve made. I really hope this reply helped, I would recommend them so highly, the amplifier too.

Accidentally bought another pair of new Stax headphones :wink:

This thread dating is a bit off.

12 Likes

These are what I use for out and about with phone and A&K.

9 Likes

Anyone tempted? : )

Tbh I was hoping for a slightly lower price point given the small form factor, but it’s dCS after all. Was thinking about just the DAC and amp, but at £21,500 that’s still more than a headphone-capable Bartok at £17,750.

1 Like

Picked up my new Singxer SA-1 headphone amp today replacing my old gear which started to show strange behaviour like channel imbalances and dropouts. I am using my Quad ERA-1 single ended as of now because I do not own a balanced cable. First impression is very good.

2 Likes

Accidentally?
Even I struggle to “accidentally” buy gear😉

Very nice though.

1 Like