Headphones thread (show us yer cans)!

Now in the process of burning in my new $350 Drop + Grell OAE1 Signature Headphones, which received earlier this week. My listening impressions will be posted sometime next week.

7 Likes

@Marin_Weigel Thank you for your post alerting us to these wonderful little IEMs. Iwas able to purchase a pair from Amazon for $21.31 total. They arrived earlier today and after selecting the proper tips (the orange ones work best for me) and fumbling a bit to figure out to connect the cable the right (and left) way, I am now enjoying these very nice sounding and easy to drive little wonders.

I just returned from an 18 day bicycle trip to Italy and I wish that I had known about the Zero:2s before the trip. When deciding what headphones and IEMs to bring on the trip my lovely wife cautioned me not to bring along anything that I regret losing so my Westone IEMs stayed home. The Zero:2s would have made the trip and would have come in very handy.

The headphones I brought on the trip were the Sony WH-1000XM3s, which have excellent noise cancellation for the long plane flight. I also brought along the Bowers & Wilkins Pi7 S2 wireless earbuds, which have much better fidelity than the Sonys. The Zero:2s would have replaced the B&Ws.

Again thank you for the recommendation.

I was able to find convolution filters for the Zero:2s. If anyone is interested please PM me and I will send them to you.

4 Likes

Nikon D3s
105mm 1.4 lens
shot wide open at 1.4

1 Like

The 105 f/1.4 was one of my favourite lenses when I shot weddings. Sold my 200 f/2 after I bought it.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to the new Drop + Grell OAE1 Signature Headphones on and off over the past few to get a feel for how they sound and what amp matches well with them. I even made a pre-set for the OAE1 in MUSE. It has Crossfeed enabled, default setting, and a very simple EQ which boosts the high end a bit. I think that the treble boost helps to compensate for the unique forward driver placement.
So far I would say the OAE1 images quite nicely and has good overall tonal balance. Certainly well worth the $350 list price.
As you can see I’m not nearly as critical as some of the members over at Head-Fi. You will have to skip forward to posts dated in July to read some of their impressions.

1 Like

I am looking for a headphone when I travel and more.

Have been looking at the new Focal but I am a bit concerned about the size. Here my ear:

and the new Focal

Torben

Nice, but that’s an expensive lens.

Photography is my hobby, I have a fancy camera and 2 fancy lenses (along with a couple cheap ones), it’s easier to justify those as I could make money off of them if I wanted to. The headphones were much more difficult to justify and they cost more than the lens in question.

I don’t want to derail the thread so here’s a picture I just took of my headphones at my desk setup.

3 Likes

I looked at my headphone collection and here are the earpad opening dimensions for some of the larger ones.

Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 820: a very roomy 8cm X 6cm

HiFiMan Edition XX: 9cm X 6cm
Please note that most of the HiFiMan planar magnetic headphones have large earpad openings.
Dan Clark Audio Aeon (both open and closed back): 8.5cm X 5cm
Like the HiFiMan headphones, most of the Dan Clark Audio planar magnetic headphones have large earpad openings.

I hope that you find this information useful.

1 Like

I think you are getting your mm and cm mixed up :+1: unless you are that tiny man with the cable a few posts above.

5 Likes

Oops. Of course the measurements are in cm, not mm. Thanks!

1 Like

Van Gogh had half the trouble you have :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

It is an expensive lens (f/1.4 apertures need a lot of very good and very big glass elements in their construction), but its performance more than justifies the price. Sharpness is unrivalled and the background rendering or ‘bokeh’ when shot wide open is beautiful.

1 Like

If only he could ‘ear us now

Noddy wouldn’t be surpised…

2 Likes

@Jazzfan_NJ - THX :slight_smile: I think the Sennheiser will be hard to drive (300 Ω)

Dan Clark Audio Aeon looks interesting: Easy to drive, travel ready (important as the new headphone is for travel only)

Have a nice WE

Torben

1 Like

Have you considered “ear plug” types, I had to wear a neck collar post op and bought the Sony WF1000MX3 ear plugs , i was expecting nothing but they are really very good.

More conventionally I use the WH1000 mx4 over ears, very good noise cancelling on planes, even screaming children are quelled :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I just posted my review of the new Drop + Grell OAE1 headphones over at Head-Fi review. Please check it out and provide feedback here. Thanks!

2 Likes

To look at impedance only is a bit misleading when judging if a headphone is easy to drive.
The DCA headphone have quite low impedance but still are difficult to drive as their sensitivity is not very high. So you will need a potent DAP when using them on the go. Not so potent DAPs can drive them still quite loud but you will miss their „oompf“ in the lower registers which they are capable of when run from a desktop amp.

2 Likes

You absolut right :slight_smile:

I tried Focal Hadenys today - very nice, but to small :frowning: They would have been perfect :frowning:

Torben