Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

I have written elsewhere about acquiring the RAAL Requisite SR1a cans (well, they aren’t really cans, floating ribbons) with the Schiit Jotunheim R amp, specialized for driving the near-short 0,2 ohm SR1a. But it was difficult to drive them from my favored Chord rig which was spoken for (Hifiman), had to unplug-and-plug cables in the back. I have a Benchmark stack used for Audeze cans, that worked, I could switch between them with switches, no cabling.

The other day I read about Schiit releasing the Modius DAC. I have been suspicious of Schiit, but ASR measured them very favorably, and at $200, heck people pay that for USB cables. So I ordered one.

It fits nicely with the Jotunheim. I grouped the Modius and the Benchmark, plugged both into the Jotunheim. Tricky, one was balanced and one was unbalanced, made for a volume difference, had to adjust.

But first reaction is favorable, no obvious difference between the $200 Modius and the $2,000 Benchmark. In my experience it takes weeks to really understand the strengths and weaknesses of gear (why blind tests are useless). But so far I’m impressed. A private stack for the SR1a, neat.

6 Likes