Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

Lovely! They are still as hard to power as a brick with wires then? :slight_smile:
Have you/anyone Heard the also pretty new Ananda?

I have them breaking in using Zone 2 speaker connection from my Anthem MRX720. Zone 2 supplies 60 wpc @ 8 ohms. Drives the HE-6SE adequately. The speaker to balanced cable box came with the set. No real listening until my balanced headphone extension cable arrives.

Just picked up a new 6 meter Cardas Cross cable for my HD800 set. Very nice upgrade.

http://hifiman.com/products/detail/84

2 Likes

Hifiman HEK
Campfire Audio Lyra 2
Sony WH1000MX2

5 Likes

Simple, modest setup for me, I’m no audiophile but do enjoy decent sound.

i5 Laptop w/ SSD, Schiit Fulla2, ATH-M50X with some EQ to bring up the sub-bass frequencies - sounds great to me and that’s all that matters.

1 Like

The original cable for my Beyerdynamic T5p Second Gens suffered badly from microphonics so I replaced it with a bespoke cable. I’ve also changed the synthetic leather pads for velvet. They sit on a nice stand too.

4 Likes

These are my favorite cans…

But seriously, Beyerdynamic T5p second generation, Sony TA-ZH1ES paired with a WM-NW1A. Also in the mix is a Pioneer XDP-100r with bumpers removed paired with a Sony PHA-3. Some need a proper stand for the cans but haven’t found one that I really like. I keep them in a velvet back when not in use.

7 Likes

I’m very pleased with the following stand:

I changed the stock cable on the T5p’s with a bespoke cable because it was very noisy (microphonic.)

1 Like

Thanks @Martin_Webster

When I searched for that on the US site I found this one by the same company. Only difference is the walnut top which I really like. I placed a one-click order so should have it in a day or two. Thanks for the advice. I’ll snap a pic with my cans on it when it gets here.

https://smile.amazon.com/Aluminum-walnut-wooden-headphone-stand/dp/B07F664PJL/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1541879501&sr=8-5&keywords=jokitech%2Bheadphone%2Bstand&th=1

I agree with you one the stock cable. I never use it either. I bought a 4.4mm balanced cable to use with the Sony amp.

2 Likes

Finally upgraded my HPA to drive my HD800 and LCD3.
That’s me done in the cans hardware dept, and boy what a monumental upgrade from the Jotunheim.

9 Likes

I use headphones for listening at my desk and while flying. I use HD650s or HE400is from my Macbook Air through an AQ Jitterbug and Dragonfly Red. For flying I use my iPad with USB3 camera adapter to Jitterbug and Dragonfly Red. I use Shure SE535 IEMs for noise isolation on the plane. They are very good.

@Martin_Webster. Headphone stand arrived earlier this week. I do like it!

2 Likes

Stand looks great. I would have gone for this version if it came in white oak.

For $20 I am happy with the build quality. The base is heavy and all parts fit together well.

Anyone weigh in on their tube amps. Looking at picking one up…Dragon Inspire, Kenzie Encore are a couple I’m looking at…

Those look like nice amps. I use a decware taboo MKIII. Although I use my Cavalli Liquid Gold more.

All that being said I really listen to my Stax and Voce with my Blue Hawaii SE the most.

1 Like

Pulled the trigger on this one with the upgraded caps…

I looked at the Decware Taboo, but it looks like the new Mark Iv is balanced only. Nice amp…

@bearFNF

5 Likes

I have a couple of the decware tube buffers i knocked up a few years ago…must look them up

Sweet should be good.

Yeah, I just saw that they did that with the MKIV, some have liked the CSP3, also. Especially with the HD800.

I also have one of the Zen switches and I made a Zen head portable amp (from their kit) for S&G.

picked up a Schitt Mjolnir2 for my power hungry balanced HE-6se. Great amp at around $900. Uses 6BZ7 tubes which are plentiful and not expensive.

1 Like

This is a bit OT, but interesting nonetheless, I just invested in an LG V30 cellphone and to my great pleasure it drives my 600ohm Beyerdynamic T1’s with ease.

For those who are not in the know, it’s a cellphone with audio side for audiophiles. It features a “Quad DAC powered by ESS Technology’s SABRE ES9218P”

Colour me impressed. It sounds great too. More natural and refined, less “glassy” than my Note 8, noticeably so.

2 Likes