Headroom Adjustment on DSP not saving

I cannot make an adjustment to the Headroom Adjustment setting in the DSP settings. My signal is clipping with the DSP and I wanted to change the Headroom. HOwever, whenever I remove the computer mouse focus from the config setting, the value resets to zero.

Accessing this via desktop ROON app for Windows. My Signal Path is FLAC > DSP conversions > Sonare SonicOrbiter SE > Benchmark DAC3L.

I never had clipping in the past because I had disabled the DSP on ROON.

Hello @yyzSB,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. Just to confirm I’m understanding the issue correctly, when you edit the Headroom Adjustment (dB) setting in the DSP engine, the value resets from what you input to 0? Even after clicking the “Apply Changes” button? Are other parts of the DSP engine working as expected – for example, are you able to change any settings inside the Parametric EQ such as the Gain (dB)? Can you please provide a screenshot of your Signal Path information while a song is playing? Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

I figured out a workaround. The issue occurs as follows.

1. Change the Default Headroom setting from -3 to zero
  2. close settings play some music
  3. Go back and try to set Headroom to something other than 0. You cannot because the removal of the mouse from the Text Box causes a reset of the value back to 0.

My work around was to press the RESET button. This set Headroom to -3 and I was able to change to a value other than 0 this time.

Hello @yyzSB,

I have tried to reproduce the issue you are describing and I noticed something, it resets back to 0 only when placing a value higher than 0, meaning you have to add the negative before the adjustment number since this feature reduces the gain and to reduce the gain it must be negative. Is this the behavior you were noticing by any chance?

Thanks,
Noris

Yes. I tested it and I see what you are referring to.

“The difference was so dramatic that I resolved not to use the -3dB setting. As I pushed it past the “0” setting and into positive territory, the result was obvious distortion. The Headroom adjustment is a seriously potent control! Set it too low and the system seems constrained performance-wise, but set it too high and the system veers off into distortion, a symptom of the saturation of the digital signal and a result of the digital clipping of intersample overs that John discussed.”

Interesting that since that review it seems that the Headroom adjustment cannot be greater than 0. Can you confirm if this is a feature or bug. If it is a feature, why is there a limit to 0?

Hello @yyzSB,

I am not sure how the author of that article was able to set the headroom management past 0, as the headroom management feature is meant to reduce the gain of volume to prevent clipping so 0 is indeed the most that you should ever be able to set it to.

This is a feature that’s working as expected since 0dB is the baseline for the headroom management mechanism. If you wish to increase the overall gain past 0db, you can do so in the Parametric EQ using the gain slider and then adjust the headroom management accordingly. Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.