Help and advice on backing up Music DB from Intel NUC

Hello @Terry_Smith,

Thanks for the update, I’ll pass the logs onward to the tech team.

-John

12 days have passed with no response ! In six weeks i move from the US back to the UK and i want to make sure i make that journey with a full external back up please
I look foreard to receiving a response please

Hello @Terry_Smith,

I sincerely apologize for the delay. I have a fairly large collection of music myself, so the importance of backups is something that strikes home and I laud you for your tenacity to get this right!

I’ve been in touch with the developers about why this would be occurring, and it’s been a bit of a back and forth due to the nature of the crash. They’ve requested some further information to help diagnose the issue

1. How many different drives have you attempted to connect to the ROCK machine?
  2. Are the external drives USB 2.0, USB 3.0, or USB-C?
  3. Are you attempting to back up your database, music files, or both? You can read more about the difference here.
  4. When you were able to have the drive connect without the crash, what folder were you attempting to move to the external drive?

-John

John
Thanks for getting back to me , I appreciate how busy you guys are but similarly I want to get this issue fixed
Answers to your questions are below

I have tried multiple drives both USB 2.0 and 3.0
I want to back-up my complete music DB (1.5 TB) from \ROCK\Data\Storage\InternalStorage\MusicDB

Where are you performing the copy and paste? From within the Roon client on another computer?

If so, I’m surprised this ability exists but if it does, there certainly is a bunch of latency as the files are sent across the network from your main music drive to your client machine and then back to the USB drive attached to the ROCK NUC.

Try connecting the USB drive to your client machine where you run Roon and see if you can copy and paste. it would eliminate one round trip across the network.

Sorry if I’m way off base here, just hoping to help and it doesn’t appear to be clear how/where you are performing the copy and paste.

I’m at home and just tried to access the music storage location from within Roon client (I’m also running ROCK with internal storage) and don’t see how you could be copy/paste from within Roon client.

Worst case, take the internal drive with you to the UK.

Larry
Thanks for trying to help !!
I am trying to do the copy from one of my machines connected to the network . If I go into Windows explorer and “Network “!i can see my NUC as “ROCK “ if I click on that I get “data”and then the file structure beneath that which has “ Storage” . If I open that I see “ internal storage “ and I see the external USB HDD as well as the internal storage . I then try and copy from one to another.
My logic is If I’m on a PC and it has internal disc and a USB HDD it doesn’t go over the network to copy .
I can get a network copy to work but it will take about 10 days , is that really what everyone else is doing ?
Also it should not be the case that when I just plug a USB drive into my NUC it crashes ?

The irony is that outside of this everything is working perfectly across 8 rooms with a mixture of Naim , Sonore , Mutec and Sonos using DSP !
Thanks once again for your interest and feedback and interest is gratefully received

Larry just tried it with USB HDD attached to PC rather than NUC and it’s 3 to 4 times faster , thank you !! Means initial backup should be less than 3 days and I can then do incremental :grinning:

1 Like