Help Building a Listening Post

I Like this thread! :grinning:

My speakers are sitting idle now. Looking for electronics but closing on Amp first. AMPS could be monos/dual monos/bridged monos or stereo amp - power more than 250/Ch. Created another thread, specifically with schiit electronics, but I like it here. I like to explore.

options Iā€™m considering are listed here, not in any order.
Class-D:

1. PS Audio Stellar M700 $2*1500 =$3000
  2. W4S mAMP --------------$2*1000 =$2000
  3. Emotive XPA GEN3-----$1*1000=$1000
  4. Red Dragon M500 MkII- $2*750=$1500
    Class-AB:
  5. schiit Vidar ----------------$2*700 =$1400 (Vidars works only with Sciit Freya Pre, in tubed mode for full power)
  6. Parasound Halo A21----$2*1000=$2000

Exploring now on these too __-> added above to my list

Prefer Mono/Bridged Mono, but exploring all.

Coupla comments.

I have some Schiit equipment. A Modi on my desktop and a Lyr2 at my headphone post. I like them and theyā€™re cost effective. The Lyr2 (tubed) runs hot enough to fry an egg, but Schiit says thatā€™s normal. The reason I donā€™t consider a Yggy or Gumby is lack of DSD support, which I consider non-directional.

Iā€™ve read bad things about Emotiva ampā€™s reliability.

I had trouble finding legit Red Dragon reviews. Hereā€™s a couple Red Dragon reviews, canā€™t vouch for the sourceā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for sharing about Emotive.

Schiit DACs without DSD, is it a deal breaker? At that cost R2R DAC is really good implementation than S-D. R2R are not supposed to add any color at all as its expensive passive conversion.

Anyways exploring Dragon boys.

@xxx

Upgrade-itis certanly factored large into the decision. Completed the W4S femto clock upgrade a couple of years ago, which gave minor improvement to the DAC-2, but got the upgrade bugā€¦ I decided I wanted to try one of the Schiit Multibit DACs. Was going to buy a Yggy, but I ran across a mint used Gumby for the price of the base Gungnir and snagged it. Side by side, I liked the Schiit Gumby better, so I sold the W4S DAC-2.

2 Likes

Is it okay if I ask you what Pre are you using between Gumbg and Amp?

@Jnan_Roon

Hi Jnan I actually have a couple of DAC paths in my main setup:

Schiit Gungnir Multibit>Audio Horizons Tube buffer>Wyred4Sound STI-500 integrated amp
Schiit Gungnir Multibit>Audio Horizons Tube buffer>Anthem MRX 720 AVR (used a prepro)
Meridian Prime Headphone amp/DAC>Anthem MRX 720 (for MQA)

1 Like