Help me understand the relationship between Tidal and Roon

I don’t see any recently played lists on my phone app but I imagine they are based on material played via their app. I stopped using Tidal last November and just reactivated my account this week. I only play via Roon and never used their app much. Albums I have played via Roon this week show up n the Because you listened to this sections and this will eventually affect the My Mixes and Daily Mixes. I just got my first daily mix today and it’s definitely based on what I listen to as are all my mixes.

Why it doesn’t seem to do this for others is a mystery.

1 Like

Ok found recent activity all the albums I have played come through.

If I look further back then all I see is older albums that I have not played recently. So this section is definitely a bit odd in how it works.

2 Likes

Yeah man. Seems pretty clear from that, but mine isn’t like that.
My recently played on Tidal is just stuff I have played in the car where I use the Tidal app. It doesn’t show any of the stuff via Roon, or any of the stuff I have added via Roon. Although my most listened is a mix? Bizarre!

1 Like

Also my mixes has Bruno Mars in it which it never has before but that’s because I listened to Silk Sonic album a few times this week from Tidal.

So it’s doesn’t show favourites you added in Roon?

I’m not really using favourites at the moment. Just adding albums. They do show in my collection, but aren’t highlighted on the home page. I can see a few, but most are from before I got roon(I’m still on the free trial).
It’s a bit more complicated to figure out influence on ‘my mix’ etc. as I have a huge offline collection, which before I got Roon I added to Tidal-so recommends will be based on that as well as anything I play on either platform.

Have you looked at the your history section where you get the things you most played by month? For me that is consistent with what I have played through Roon. However I’m like you with the recently played section which seems to be more what I have played through the Tidal app.

1 Like

I meant adding albums which is the equivalent of favouring in Tidal app. They won’t show on your home page when added just in your collection under albums in the Tidal app.

1 Like

Weirdly I have just seen that the Recent Activity bit of my collection shows everything-just not the recently played bit on the home page?!

Just to confirm, you played in Roon and they showed up where in Tidal? On your PC app or mobile?

Mobile app so far I dont use desktop app, had the same this morning played 4 eps by one band via Roon and all showed up in Recent activity almost imediately. The other albums that I listened to yesterday and on Thursday show up on my Tidal homepage under Because you listend to this … sections. The recent history seems more hit and miss as it only shows albums from this mornings run and nothing else recent. The Because you liked this sections have updated constantly with Roon content over the few days I have been resubscribed to Tidal. My mixes have taken in to my listening to. I only use Roon and until Wednesday had not been usinf Tidal or sunscribed to it for nearly a year. Just decided to try it again under the hifi tier to check out if MQA was still their (which it is) Not sure I will keep it but have it for a month.

1 Like

I think we are discovering it’s a more complex answer.

For sure Roon plays, every track played, are counted for revenue - i think we all agree to that.

What we DON’T know is what factors - plays in the Tidal app, plays from the API (Roon), favoriting, adding to playlists, commercial influences, etc. – are factored into the Tidal discovery algos. The Daily Discovery and the My Mixes are the main algo driven feature in the Tidal ecosystem. We just don’t know.

My impression is that I don’t feel like the Tidal “Recent Activity” reflects my playing in Roon. But when I look into the “Your History” (further down the home page) it DOES seem to have what i have played in Roon (although presented as ALBUMS not TRACKS). I have to admit, I use Roon, Tidal app, and Sonos all at once and have not paid close attention to what shows up where. I appreciate that others here have posted their impressions of what data shows up in what aspects of Tidal.

1 Like

Though the mixes for you do see to be based on artists that I have listened to in the previous month.

I’m also thinking about tidal , Roon and Spotify right now. With Spotify and Bluesound I get Roon and Tidal together but pay half. Interesting if, like me, you don’t need the audio features and artist information of Roon, not the audio quality of Tidal … Audiophile people will hardly want to do without it.
I have realized for myself, Spotify and Bluesound are enough for me. Best price-performance ratio. Quality is good…

You could play some tracks on roon that you would never normally go near, stuff way off your usual taste, then see whether similar stuff starts feeding in on Tidal.

However the sound quality of Spotify is very low. I know that they have promised to increase it to at least CD quality but, at the moment, it is approx 356 kps (or thereabouts). Which sounds almost intolerable on my stereo…

The sound quality was measured with Tidal, or the local files. But that was not the reason for my post… I drew a conclusion for myself (!). Roon (subscription) and Tidal (subscription) vs Spotify (subscription) and BlueSound (no subscription).

The time I spend listening to music is relatively small. Therefore, the Spotify variant is enough for me. And my local library (6000 titles) is not so big that Roon is really worth it. At least not at the price.