Help needed with Nucleus recovery:

Taking a look at the docs only this looks possibly relevant, use with care and make sure you select the right disk number. The instructions are from the bottom of this doc:

Run the following command in Terminal.app, replacing N by the corresponding disk number, which you can find by running diskutil list:

diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 UNTITLED MBRFormat /dev/diskN

According to all of your screen shots the flash stick is disk2 butl do double check, those ids for removable drives can change. After that repeat the etcher burn.

Great idea, Killdozerā€¦but unfortunately produced the same result.

Iā€™m now exploring the ROCK/NUC build posts and there are reported instances where the UEFI boot priority must be changed to Legacy Boot (for a ROCK install). Iā€™m quite out of my element with PC hardware/software configuring so I plan to read more before changing any BIOS settingsā€¦but maybe this is the way forward? I seem to have lost my support guyā€™s attention. Would love to hear from anyone who understands this environmentā€¦

Hi @brad_thompson,

You didnā€™t lose my attention, Iā€™m just catching up after being out of the office yesterday.

In reading through things I can only see one thing to look into. For your screenshot showing the erase of Generic Flash Disk Dedia, change that format to exFAT. Itā€™s perfect for the Linux box. If APFS is selected Iā€™m betting thatā€™s the issue.

After that, I may need to seek help from others. I have a Roon Core on Mac, Roon Server running on Mac, a Nucleus, Roon Server running on Windows 11, and an all-in-one core on Windows 11. But no ROCK so no hands-on experience with the process.

Regards,
Wes

Thanks, Wes. That was just a screenshot I grabbed before selecting ExFAT (as APFS is only for Apple). Unfortunately, the USB flash formatting doesnā€™t seem to be the issue. Iā€™d like to try changing the BIOS settings, to see if the boot priority (UEFI vs. Legacy) is the issue (as has been reported with some of the ROCK builds), but I hate to start pushing buttons in an unfamiliar environment. Is there someone in support I could follow up with that is experienced with BIOS settings for a Nucleus M.2 flash?

ā€œIf you get stuck @brad_thompson, Iā€™ve assigned your case to me so I can monitor it. Please do let me know!ā€

Wes

Wes,

Can you please assign my case to someone else?

Brad

I recall various reports on this, better try Rufus:

I have to say that that ā€œSelect targetā€ screenshot of Balena Etcher looks very odd indeed.

Iā€™m not seeing the USB stick that you presumably plugged in listed, Iā€™m only seeing the Macā€™s system drives.

By way of comparison, hereā€™s the equivalent screenshot of Balena Etcher running on my Windows PC. Note that the USB stick is explicitly listed. I actually had to click on the ā€œShow hidden drivesā€ option to show the system drives in my PC. By default these would be hidden.

It is listed as ā€˜Generic Flash Disk Mediaā€™ (/dev/disk2)ā€¦ this is Mac speak for ā€˜USB Flash Stickā€™ā€¦

1 Like

And itā€™s only 1GB - not enough for a ROCK flashingā€¦

Yes, and this may be the problemā€™s causeā€¦

Iā€™d wondered but this is from Roonā€™s official help page:

Plug in your USB flash drive (it must be larger than the factory reset image size ā€“ 1GB is more than enough)

Edit This isnā€™t meant to suggest trying a bigger stick is a bad idea.

Ah - missed thatā€¦ Iā€™ve always used USB Sticks of 8/16/32 GB - and they have always worked with Etcher for meā€¦

Finding 1GB sticks isnā€™t the easiest task these days ā€¦

Thank you, everyone. I did buy a new 128GB USB stick, which produced the same failed reboot result. I then tried one of the BIOS protocols from a ROCK build post (selected UEFI and booted from the USB) and was almost successful (see photo). I finally produced a ROCK install screen!..but unfortunately in the process I seem to have disconnected the keyboard. And the on/off switch. Iā€™m unable to do anything now. Currently dead in the water. Any ideas?

How is the keyboard connected @brad_thompson? If itā€™s wired then thatā€™s rarely good. CTRL-ALT-DEL should get a reboot if itā€™s working.

Regarding the power button, holding it for a few seconds should force a power down from a stuck state.

Good luck and congratulations on the progress, youā€™ll get there but it might not quite be plain sailing yet.

Wired. USB port. I was locked out, so I disconnected the power supply and now have this screen. Current status: afraid to type anything. Hoping/waiting for someone that knows a bit about what I should do next. Fingers crossed.

Youā€™ve simply booted into the EFI shell, thatā€™s possibly inadvertently selected. Typing reset -c should get you a reboot. You canā€™t go too far wrong powering down from these early boot states if youā€™re really stuck. A long (5 secs) press of the power button usually does the trick. If it doesnā€™t pulling the plug never fails AFAIK.

2 Likes

Update: I can now successfully boot from the USB and produce the ROCK install menu!

Unfortunately, when I do (boot from USB), the keyboard is disabled. If I could just press"1" and ā€œenterā€ I think Iā€™d be in the home stretch. Alasā€¦

Oddly, in this state the Nucleus on/off button is also disabled.

Iā€™ve started a 2nd support post to see if I can get lucky and find someone whoā€™s dealt with this situation. Iā€™ve learned quite a lot this weekend about PCā€™s, NUCā€™s, the BIOS interface, USBā€™s, SSDā€™s, etcā€¦ but I currently have no idea how to reconcile this.

So presumably the keyboard works properly up to this point and then nothing works? Try simply unplugging the keyboard and plugging it in again, that may allow it to be recognised. Just to be sure, what model of keyboard are you using? I doubt itā€™s an issue but Iā€™d like to rule out anything ā€œexoticā€ as it were. BTW is the cursor flashing at all?