Help! Roon lost control of the audio device

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 / Falcon Northest Tiki desktop (Core i5 with 16 GB memory) / Build 710

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Orbi connected via Ethernet to Roon Core machine

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos Connect (Ethernet), Sonos Connect (WiFi), Sonos Play 1 (stereo pair WiFi), Sonos Play 3 (WiFi)

Description Of Issue

System was running fine as of two days ago. Since that time had only been using Roon with local system. This afternoon I went to put Christmas music on around the house and got the error “Roon lost control of the audio device” when attempting to play on all network devices.

Roon is able to properly play from the core machine to locally attached speakers using ISAPI or System Device, but is unable to play over the network to any Sonos device, giving the error as above.

In addition, I have Roon on my phone as a control device and this had been working fine. Now, however, can no longer locate the core, it simply sits on the “Looking for your Roon Core” indefinitely.

I tried disconnecting all Sonos devices from power, turned them back on, same problem. Ticked the “Ignore IGMP Proxying” option off on the Orbi router as suggested in the Networking Best Practices but the problems persists.

Note that the Sonos system plays fine from the Sonos controller.

I tried also rebooting Core machine (multiple times) but that also didn’t help.

After spending 3 hours on this… it appears that Windows Update decided to change the Firewall settings for roon.exe and raatserver.exe such that they were being blocked. I added them back and my phone can now see the core on the network and Roon can now play to all of my Sonos devices.

As I always say, technology is great until it doesn’t work! :slight_smile:

Happy Holly Days to all at Roon and this support topic can be closed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.