Help understanding implementation in my home

@Craig_Palmer, Thanks for the info. That’s definitely something to consider. I thought C4 may be easier for my family to interact with, but the limitations and dependence on an installer are a concern. Lutron RA2/Caseta may be a much cheaper route. What do you use to control your Whole Home Audio - source switching etc? Is CasaTunes an option with Roon? They look heavily connected to Sonos, but I really don’t want to jump into Sonos.

@Vincent_Kennedy, I was leaning towards FLAC, but then we are all on Apple devices. so ALAC seemed the easier choice. I could go FLAC and batch to mp3 with dbPowerAmp I guess for mobile device playback. Slim_Fishguttz, while the newer Apple phones and devices like 4K support FLAC, iTunes 12 still does not, so it’s still a game of conversion to play local music on your phone. I don’t want a 14 and 11 year old “streaming” off WIFI.

Is a stand alone NUC Roon server like the Small Green Computer an easy middle of the road option? Honestly, I don’t have the interest or time to build anything right now.

Thanks to all of you for your answers.

@Bruce_H - I wish I could give you some advice about your Apple questions, but I have never been an Apple user.

As far as the the Small Green Computer is concerned I took a quick look at their site, and it looks like they have some pretty nice hosts. You might want to poke around here on the Community and see if there are any users of their gear. I’d be surprised if there aren’t. If you don’t see any comments I’d start a thread and see what happens.

It’s great to see you so engaged, your family should be grateful!

Cheers,
Vince

@Bruce_H I use EZ CD Audio Convertor with a drive connected to my Win10 computer. It rips (FLAC in my case) directly to a SSD I have installed inside a Nucleus.

@Bruce_H - If ease of use for your family is the critical objective, then c4 is a good option. I use Roon for all music zone control and have bluos devices (NAD CI580 and CI720) for my extended house and patio zones and lumin/sonore streamers with chord DACs in my primary listening zones. You can see my setup here… Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos