Help with classical music ( Alessandro Marcello)

So I really know little about classical music (actually more on the punk/rock side of things) but I ran across this beautiful piano music and I am trying to figure out how to get a hold of an album including a decent version…

… so here‘s the info I have:

Alessandro Marcello Concerto in D Minor BMV 974 adagio

…I found a version by Alexandra Streliski

…canˋt find more Info with Roon…is there more to it… because I think it is a really beautiful piece of music.

Anyone know more?

I wouldn’t have known it but my collection tells me that

1. Alessandro Marcello or - so says a booklet - maybe his brother Benedetto originally wrote the concerto for oboe. More fame the work earned

2. thanks to Johann Sebastion Bach who transcribed it for harpsichord (BWV 974) - Roon knows of the composition as “Concerto for solo keyboard No. 3 in D minor (after Alessandro Marcello), BWV 974 (BC L194)”

I’ve got this version of the oboe concerto:
RoonShareImage-636697133444172080

(Update) … and for harpsichord:
RoonShareImage-636697142267563250

Maybe this helps hunting it down in a version you like. :slight_smile:

Thanx - great help. Love the piano version.

Now how do I understand this - Alessandro Marcello wrote it and others have performed it on different instruments? Is this just a single piece of music or part of a bigger composition?

Any similar music anyone can recommend - love the melancholic mood it has…

From the booklet of the album with the oboe concerto I have:

“Alessandro Marcello (1673–1747), elder brother of the more prolific and better known Benedetto Marcello (1686–1739), was a Venetian patrician and polymath. The oboe concerto in D minor, initially brought to wider notice by being among the Italian concertos transcribed for solo harpsichord by J. S. Bach, appears in a published anthology of concertos by several composers published by Jeanne Roger in Amsterdam in 1717, where its composer is named unambiguously as ‘Alexandro Marcello’. However, a C minor version of the same work preserved in Schwerin attributes it merely to ‘Marcello’. Benedetto’s authorship is in fact suggested by the fact that the oboe concerto’s first movement contains close thematic resemblances to the second movement of his violin concerto Op. 1 no. 2 (1708). …”

So Bach wrote a version for cembalo / harpsichord.

I lack the deeper knowledge here but it was quite a common thing for composers to use each others works and rearrange (transcribe) those for other instrumentations. In former times it may have often been because they lacked the musicians required to perform certain music. So instead of inventing the record player they transcribed the music for the instruments at hand. Or they did it just as a finger excercise.

Search for Bach J S BWV 974. I couldn’t find all that many versions on Qobuz or Amazon. There is a recently released album on DG by the pianist Vikingur Olafsson that has it - and played on the piano.

Thanks a lot guys… will check out some of the piano versions. Any similar classical stuff u can recommend?

That’s a tough question. Music’s emotion and will you feel the same listening to a recommendation as I do? Like when you say there’s a melancholic mood in a piece - I’d probably wouldn’t have put it like that. :wink:

Staying with the piano but from later times there are always Chopin’s Nocturnes or Gabriel Fauré’s Piano works. Of course Franz Liszt wrote a lot for piano - and did a lot of transcriptions too.
Or simply more from J. S. Bach; have a listen to his Goldberg variations for instance, never hurts …
Antonio Vivaldi may be worth exploring, he’d sound a bit more “like Marcello” being a contemporary from Italy.
Or … I don’t know. Be curious or browse a little in the

thread. May give inspiration too (there’s classical stuff mixed in between).

Thanx - all new terrain… will listen into stuff :slight_smile:

Try Erik Satie Gymnopedie - or if you want something a bit meatier, try Schubert Fantasia Op 103 D 940 (for four hands). If you want to go beyond piano - Debussy l’Apres midi d’un faune or Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue or Schubert Piano Trios. The choices are endless!

Here’s an album you might enjoy:

Bach is endless, but based on the piece you asked about, perhaps try the two minor key cello suites (Jean-Guihen Queyras’s set is a good option among recent recordings) and the third English suite for keyboard, particularly the sarabande. I like Maria Joao Pires for that one.

1 Like

Really beautiful - like it a lot! Thanx

1 Like