Help with Roon Bridge please [Resolved]

Hi,

I have a 2 pc set up, using a Sony Vaio laptop as my core with an IFI Nano attached and also some Kef X300A’s some of the time. Both work fine when attached to the Core directly.

I am trying to set up an HP desktop now as a remote and would like to use a Chord Mojo plugged into the Desktop(remote) as output.

How do I go about this? I assume I use Roon Bridge, but on both the Core and Remotes? And any configuration to be done for it to recognise the Mojo (which is recognised fine by the PC, by the way, and can play via other programs)?

At the moment I am running Roon on Core and on HP, as remote and both PC’s running Roon Bridge.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Hi @David_Haesler,

If you want a Roon GUI interface on the desktop … you need to install Roon on the desktop and then run it in remote mode with it pointing to you Roon core.

If headless then yes install Roon Bridge.

However you don’t need to install Roon Bridge on the machine running Roon Core, as it already built in.
Think of Roon Bridge as a network audio endpoint software that enables that device to support Roon’s Advanced Audio Transport RAAT network protocol and thus audio devices connected to that machine (typically USB DACs) can now be seen by the Roon core as an audio zone.

Are you aware of the Roon Knowledge Base, it’s a great source of reference.

thanks for the knowledge base link.

yes I had run the desktop roon as Remot and it’s seeing the Core, no problem with that. I can control output of the core via the remote.

How do I see “audio zones” from the core side?

“thus audio devices connected to that machine (typically USB DACs) can now be seen by the Roon core as an audio zone”

thanks in advance.

Ps… I CAN see an Android device remotely from the core and can output to that, per this:

However, there’s no sign on the core of the HP desktop to which the Chord Mojo is attached. It does still see the CHord however but that’s in the section marked “Connected to this PC: These Devices are connected to your PC directly” which is simply not the case.

Thanks in advance.

Erm, but if you are running Roon Remote on the HP desktop to which the Chord Mojo is attached, and viewing the Roon UI on the HP desktop, then this is the PC to which the Chord Mojo is directly connected to… Why do you think that this is not the case?

Hi @Geoff_Coupe and @Carl

In answer to your comment, Geoff, I am seeing this on the VAIO/Core (with duplicate on the Remote/HP)

As per my post, the screen dump is take from the Core device as per my comment "Ps… I CAN see an Android device remotely from the core and can output to that, per this:"

and also per this: However, there’s no sign on the core of the HP desktop to which the Chord Mojo is attached. It does still see the CHord however but that’s in the section marked “Connected to this PC: These Devices are connected to your PC directly” which is simply not the case.

Sorry for any confusion.

I cannot use the Chord mojo , period, when it’s connected to the HP/as remote and as I understand it, this should be possible.

To clarify:

It appears as per the screen dump exactly the same on both the Core and Remote. Thus on the core the mojo appears as a device connected to the core when it’s not.

I was trying to use the mojo via the core version of Roon, with the Mojo connected via usb to the Remote/HP, and the screen dump applies on both PC’s.

I cannot enable Mojo (nor hear music) via either the core NOR the remote when the Mojo is connected to the HP/remote.

By trying to enable the Mojo via the Remote, either I lose all devices on the screen apart from the Tablet and a “Loading+Roon timer” pops up until forever unless i close it (foo_dsd_asio) OR deviceinitfailed pops up briefly (Asio Chord 1.05) . This activity is duplicated on the Core whilst I am working on the Remote (apart from the pop up)

The HP sees the mojo and I can play music through it via other apps such as Foobar.

I can use the Mojo fine when plugged directly into the Core.
I can use the Mojo fine if I configue the HP desktop as Core and it’s plugged into the Hp as Core.

Erm… what else? Can’t think for now.

Thus this still applies…

How do I see “audio zones” from the core side?

"thus audio devices connected to that machine (typically USB DACs) can now be seen by the Roon core as an audio zone"

I can see the Tablet as a networked device and “zone” is mentioned in relation to that, so should the HP appear as a network device with corresponding Mojo option in a similar way?

Some clear instruction of how to debug this situation would be appreciated.

It’s not a huge problem, but it would be nice to resolve, mainly for convenience, as habitually, I keep the Mojo connected to the Desktop rig.

I don’t know what to explain further to make the problem clearer :slight_smile: ?

Happy to input further, as required.

Cheers!

Checking the roon knowledge base (setting up Roon Bridge) it certainly would appear that i should be seeing the HP/mojo as networked device according to:

"Start by opening Roon on your Windows or OS X computer, or Roon Remote on your iOS or Android device.

In Settings, click the Audio tab – in the Networked section, you should be able to see the list of audio devices discovered by Roon Bridge.

Enable the device (or devices) you want to use. More detailed instructions about setting up your DAC can be found here."

Is that right? It’s not appearing and, as mentioned, the only device appearing in this section is my tablet.

To correct myself slightly, there IS a difference with the display on the Core to the Remote ref these settings.

On the core it says “Connected to this pc” and on the remote it says “Connected to Core”

But again, the Mojo is NOT connected to the core :-), this is still true.

Ok… I seemed to have sorted the problem.

I started from scratch. Rebooted both PC’s, clean start, so to speak. Seems like that’s all it needed, lol.

Now there’s a list of options “connected to this pc” on the remote, including the Mojo, which now can be enabled.

It’s working now.

Thanks for assistance.

1 Like