I am a Mac user finding iTunes increasingly unusable for my main listening area due to countless duplications (mp3s, m4a, alacs, etc). I haven’t figured out how to get roon to play the “best” version and ignore other duplicates.
I THINK what I want to do is:
- move all my audio files to one big folder (Working folder) and remove all duplicates saving only the least compressed files somehow
2)sort out all the lossless versions somehow - preferably not manually
(Is there metadata that distinguishes lossless from lossy m4a’s?)
3)Move lossless to another folder (ALAC folder)
- Point Roon to the ALAC folder and altered Working folder
- Erase old iTunes XML and drop both new folders into iTunes without moving files so mobile devices can take advantage of iTunes match.
- All new music is ripped or imported lossless with something other than iTunes.
- New lossless is placed in ALAC folder and also dropped onto iTunes for lossy conversion
- Older lossy dupes are manually removed from iTunes as reripped replacement ALAC files are generated.
There are a lot of somehows in here. Any ideas?
David - Dallas