Hey just started, all this 'downloading' is this art work, and files

I see - anyway to get that giant main image when you get to for example searchilng for artist The Beatles it takes up more than half the screen so you have to scroll down to see the actual albums you want to click and play is there a way to deactivate that or have it permanently collapsed?

Alex,

The number of artists / albums you will see depends on the device you are using. In my case on my 27 inch 2560 x 1440 monitor connected to my Windows 10 laptop I see 90 per page after setting Allow for more covers and photos? to Yes on the Settings / General tab. I see 44 if I use the 1920 x 1080 15.6 inch screen on my laptop. I would see more if I had a 4K display. Lower resolution and smaller screens like the ones on tablets and and phones will show less so you can actually read them.

Tim

No it’s the way the interface looks.

I see for Genre Classical - in the pulldown to sort it only shows ARTIST not Composer - can’t really be can it? Most people don’t filter or search classical my ARTIST but instead by the Composer - Bach, Beethoven, anyway to change what is in the SORT BY - i mean Composer is so important, why would you elimiate that but include date added as an example - i suppose it is because that SORT BY filter needs to apply to all genres - having built these things - adding more or allowing users to add more wouldn’t be that foreign. Unless you actually can?

In this case, I think that rather than going through Genres, you might want to go to Composers, then set to “Only Classical,” then sort as you wish. (If I’m looking for a particular composer, I usually type his/her name in the search field.)

Most of this stuff is documented thoroughly in the Knowledge Base.

Once you get used to the interface, I think you’ll see that it’s pretty easy to find whatever you want, whether that’s in your local library or on Tidal or Qobuz.

1 Like

There are long-standing Feature Requests to sort Classical Albums by Composer. Feel free to contribute.

1 Like

Alex, I did the trail of Roon on my Acer laptop and left my music file on the NAS. I decided I liked it so much I upgraded to a Nuc running Rock. It’s a clean, simple slick solution. It’s always on and has a minimalist web UI for maintenance. Lots of great folks here to help you.

1 Like

Ok interesting on the Composers and Only Classical - but then it shows you only individual tracks - i want to look at albums - not scroll through thousands of ‘tracks’ - any suggestions on how to filter so i see classical composers and then get their albums instead of tracks?

Thank you - some questions on that:

Can you have the Nuc running Rock - back up to the cloud, if i use google drive or something - the ability to make a connection to that kind of service is possible?

Can other streamers like Sonos i have in the basement access the music on the Nuc running Rock?

A Solid State HD Synology NAS would have the benefit of Dual HD Raid back up - and be less expensive in your opinon is the Nuc running Rock worth the extra cash?

If for whatever reason NUC and Rock is not an option for me - can you recommend ideal requirements for a Dual drive NAS running on Synology maybe? Often proprietary hardware/software have incompatabilities - that a NAS by Synology or some other set up you recommend might not have.

I am purchasing a NAIM Music Servier it says it’s Roon compatible - if i chose to use the Music browsing software that NAIM has with their app with Nuc running Rock allow me to do so?

Can you recommend a NUC or is that Roon’s own Nuc?

Hi Jeff, i replied to another good guy a bit ago, but does that mean only he will see my question and will reply - he may not come back on for days - i’m not sure how forums work - btw this is the most amazing support product i’ve ever seen btw! - so here is my question in case i’m right and only he see’s my questions:

Thank you - some questions on that:

Can you have the Nuc running Rock - back up to the cloud, if i use google drive or something - the ability to make a connection to that kind of service is possible?

Can other streamers like Sonos i have in the basement access the music on the Nuc running Rock?

A Solid State HD Synology NAS would have the benefit of Dual HD Raid back up - and be less expensive in your opinon is the Nuc running Rock worth the extra cash?

If for whatever reason NUC and Rock is not an option for me - can you recommend ideal requirements for a Dual drive NAS running on Synology maybe? Often proprietary hardware/software have incompatabilities - that a NAS by Synology or some other set up you recommend might not have.

I am purchasing a NAIM Music Servier it says it’s Roon compatible - if i chose to use the Music browsing software that NAIM has with their app with Nuc running Rock allow me to do so?

Can you recommend a NUC or is that Roon’s own Nuc?

You don’t need to repeat your question. Anyone who looks at this thread will see all posts made to it, no matter who replied or to whom they replied.

2 Likes

At the moment Roon supports Dropbox only for cloud based backup. Personally I use a 128 GB USB thumb drive.

I don’t know Sonos, but the 2TB internal storage on my BRIX MOCK is accessible as a network folder to the OS on Windows Remotes. Haven’t used external USB storage.

What Roon shows in this situation is not tracks but compositions. While a few contemporary classical composers make albums, most don’t. So I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking to do. If you want to find albums containing works by a particular composer, you can use the regular search function. If you want to browse classical albums, you can go to Albums and focus on Classical (plus any other pertinent criteria).

The main difference is CPU. I like to have the option to run DSP. The whole NAS/ROON thing feels to me more like an interesting proof of concept than a prudent way to run ROON. Computers are complex enough already without adding unnecessary hoops for them to jump through. I think running ROON seamlessly and trouble free is of value compared to the possibility of problems. Others may have different views.

1 Like

@alex_mendoza

Roon supports DropBox but I have my backups set to a local network share.

Yes, if you want to have the music stored on an internal drive on the Nuc, Rock creates a network share. I can point my Sonos library to this share.

Everyone sees value in different ways. Having the music store directly on the Nuc keeps everything self contained. I am very pleased with the performance of this setup and for me it has been well worth it.

Here are links to everything I bought to build my Nuc. Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.

Intel NUC 7 Business Kit (NUC7i7DNH1E) - Core i7 vPro, Tall

Memory 8gb x 2

120gb M.2 internal SSD for Rock OS

1tb SSD for internal music storage

Thanks so much for recommendations to build the NUC - i’m in a bit of a pickle in making a decision of which way to go. I am buying NAIM preamp and amp - then pretty much set on buying NAIM ND5 XS2 - Streamer. Naim has a Unity Core it’s a bit pricing at discounted 2,200 and i need to buy the 2 TB SSD so 2600. I like the Naim App user interface - perhaps honestly better than Roon, although i’m open to getting used to Roon UI. So i’m thinking - i wonder if there are major benefits to go the Roon Nuc + Rock route or the Naim Core and stay all in same brand - what i think about is will i be limited more so by one option vs the other by things i don’t yet know of - is there a strong advantage of one of the other - i am doing my research - i get more specs on the Roon Nuc and Rock than i can see with the Naim Core - one of the main things i hope is not a problem, i want which ever product i get be able to serve my sonos set up in the basement and allow an auto back up to the cloud (amazon or google drive) i figure Roon Rock + Nuc can? Any opinions would be appreciated.

In addition - maybe i can plainly ask - any cautions or warnings about using Naim Unity Core - i guess i’m a bit wary about both name and Roon - simply because my decades of experience with tech - that new operating systems or old companies (Naim) getting into the proprietary software business - can always lead to unstable or conflicts, or incompatiblitities - especially proprietary - than one is used to from more stable and mature solutions - Sonos, Apple etc… - especially since these are several thousand dollar products - looking for reassurance and transparent feedback on pros cons - thanks all!

1 Like

VRThis has been raised a lot, I would prefer

Composer> Album

Not composer > composition

Maybe it will come

Roon is still better than anything else out there all things considered, you just have to change the mind set a bit. All software breaks YOU in eventually

Keep asking this is a very proactive community as you have found, there a number of classical gurus here if that’s your issue

The unity core won’t serve your sonos kit. In my opinion the core is only of use if you will stay inside the Naim fence and never go outside of it. It is of a different era when ripping discs and serving them was difficult and a black box solution could attract a, massive, premium.
The ND5X2 is roon ready and will work fine with a cheap nuc running roon.
I don’t think the core will serve up anything to the Sonos obviously roon will.