Hey just started, all this 'downloading' is this art work, and files

Hi Alex,

Most of the recommendations about hardware are, for me, overkill.
All in all, it depends on the final processing chain that you require and the number of zones you stream simultaneously.

Since my requirements are at the low end of the spectrum - mainly flacs, 16/24 boys, 44/48 kHz, my hardware is not as powerful as most members. I do have a large library though- ~7500 albums.
I have run it on an I7, on a 2009 Mac mini with core 2 duo, and on my nas with Atom D525.
Currently I run 2 cores - one on my work notebook (i7, 16gb, ssd, win10) and one on the Mac mini (c2d 2.2 ghz, 8gb, HD, win10).
Naturally, there’s a difference in performance when browsing. But I can’t say that browsing on the old machines is sluggish if anything.
Windows is faster than Linux and MacOS.
When streaming the Mac mini doesn’t even break a sweat.
Is it worth the upgrade? That’s for you to say.
If you’re a techie you can try and fiddle with the old machines. I don’t understand what’s there to fiddle with - it’s truly plug and play.

Hi so i bagged the Unity Core - and bought a Mytek Brooklyn DAC - there are two kinds one comes with a streamer 3K i bought that, the other comes with just a DAC 2K - i prefer that so i can put the 1K i saved to the sever like Nucleus - is the Nucleus a streamer that will let me stream spotify and internet radio and my ripped CD’s? And can i store 2TB of music on it? I finally have my new system down - just need to pick the server/streamer whatever to host Roon - Brooklyn DAC is Roon ready - so i’m trying to figure out what’s best to buy I’ll pay for the Nucleus if it’s essentially acts like an external HD with 2TB storage, and i can access my music from Sonos as well - and i can back it to the cloud using a cloud back up service - can’t wait to buy this last piece - i’ll make my own if someone gives me recipe of what to buy - but only if it’s more useful/versatile than nucleus. My system is now B&W 603 floor standing speakers, Naim Pre-amp and Amp set, and MyTek Brooklyn Bridge Dac Streamer - sounding pretty nice for Classical!

Thank you very kind to give me your NUC recipe! - if i buy all this i would increase the music storage to 2TB - is there alot of configuration and how is set up a nightmare? I would rather pay for Nucleus if it’s more plug and play - last thing i need after being on a computer at work all day is to have to fiddle and learn stuff i wish i didn’t need to. - Is it hard to put all that together?

Ok so you are saying that Nucleus more seamless less head ache more plug and play? Is it all so my music storage device? Like can i store 2TB of files on it? thanks!

andy i have finally come to the conclusion i like Roon - and i got a 1 year subscription

1 Like

Hey so i’m planning on getting Darqman’s set up for my nuc he shared - only thing is i want 2T so i’m getting this - any concerns with this piece - SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB Internal SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm - SDSSDH3-2T00-G25- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KGS72Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Other thing - i read this on Roon recommendations for building NUC - i don’t understand the WILL be reformated so don’t put your music on it and expect it to work - that is a weird statement - like a contradiction - Internal storage for music content - and same sentence says don’t do it? - any clarifications?

• Internal storage (for music content) can be any size, and can be an SSD or a spinning disk.
  • Internal storage (for music content) WILL be reformatted, so don’t put your music on it and expect it to work… you will need to copy your music to it via the network share exposed, or via Roon drag/drop import

The first time a 2.5" physical disc is installed in a ROCK NUC, the ROCK OS needs to format it in order to use it for music storage. So it WILL be formatted. That’s why it’s pointless to put music on it before installing it into a NUC.

@alex_mendoza that drive is basically the same as mine but with the higher capacity so it will work. Follow @Geoff_Coupe advice regarding not copying music until you install drive.