Hi-Fi Kit You Sold and Regretted!

If you feel guilty about an A amp, don’t buy an electric car. http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/lost-in-transmission-how-much-electricity-disappears-between-a-power-plant-and-your-plug/

Well, the upside is they double as nice space heaters in the winter!
After I sold the Pass Aleph 2’s I got their upgraded equivalent (XA100.2). Exquisite sound. But I don’t let them warm up like I did with the first Pass amps. All that heat eventually gave the Alephs a reddish-black look on the fins. And yeah, it was irresponsible to leave them on.

1 Like

I sold a classic Denon DCD-1500 CD player and regretted it even as I packed it up for shipping.

5 Likes

aarrH @flashman that feeling when the door bell rings and you ‘let it physically go’, yet emotionally ‘cling onto the good times and question yourself ….’ I can cover it with “when would I have used it…huh?” , “what replaces it is better…right”.

When I sold my NAD M50 streamer I realised just how good a CD-Player/ripper it was (worth keeping for that alone at the price I sold it for). Dough! :man_facepalming: :grimacing:

1 Like

I sold a Krell KSA-100 to a guy who turned out to be a fraudster. When I put the cheque in my bank I got arrested for passing a counterfeit. So, yeah, I regretted that!

3 Likes

Wow @Margaret_Charlton… A regret at another level and multiple levels indeed. EnjoyTheMusic…

Indeed.When police were very nice once they heard the story. When the guy from the fraud squad came round he told me that he’d been dealing with a man who sold a Ferrari for cash. Fake cash! So, I guess I got off lightly…
Then again the sort of person who sells a Ferrari for cash probably isn’t the most upright of citizens :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah. I was visiting family in Sweden, and you can’t even buy a hamburger for cash anymore.

I WISH I hadn’t sold this?
I probably wouldn’t use it, even if I had I had it right now.
BUT what a beautiful bit of kit…

5 Likes

Haha! Well, it was 1999!

Thorens 124. Had it as a student in my digs. Made my own plinth that took up half my desk space, the Allison 6 speakers the other half (not sure where the Arcam A60 amp went).

Oh and a Nytech CTA252XD receiver. I still hanker after one of those. I was talking to Rob Hay of Audioquest recently, reminiscing as you do. Turns out his dad was Mr Nytech himself. Wow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stax SRA-12S
Technics SB-10
Kenwood (Trio) L07D
Mutec MC-3+USB

The first three are very difficult to get hold of today, the Mutec is of course a current product so I could easily buy it again.

@ogs What replaced the Mutec MC-3+? Thanks

That is the Sony D6C Pro ?… very nice (Never heard it thu’)

Still have a Marantz PMD-430 (pro portable cassette deck), just in case, not sure of what?? Very capable. I sold an AIWA XK-007 Excelia which was incredibly good (Marantz was close behind), almost a regret. The XK-700 was used by studios also as a kind of budget Nakamichi Dragon.

1 Like

Not high end at all but still miss my good old Logitech Squeezebox Boom.

3 Likes

I have no re-clocker in my system at the moment unfortunately. I miss the Mutec! (a single click on my avatar will show my current system)

it’s why I can’t bring myself to sell all the stuff that I need to get rid of.

Might regret later.

I should be on an episode of “Loudspeaker Hoarders”

Hi @terzinator

Maybe a list of the items you have and are not using could help exercise some of those concerns? Think of your speakers as fixed furniture…

Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary. Lovely speakers, but I now have Magnepan .7’s in the space, and I really like them.

PSB Imagine XB

ELAC Debut… I think they were $300 new?

B&W 602 (two pair!)

Really it’s just the Harbeth’s I’m vacillating over. I like them, but I think I’m keeping them more because of the “Harbeth legend,” rather than actually needing them.

1 Like

@terzinator. Added into the mix you make good choices also…

1 Like