Hi I'm Michael, new Product Manager. Let's Chat!

In my case, an Nvidia Shield. But any generic android set top box would be the goal.

I have roon running on my Huawei tablet using Android version 8.0. It works flawlessly and runs much more like my desktop version of roon than the roon app on my Android phone (which also runs without error).

I guess that I should have specified running on something other than phones or tablets, since they are basically the same thing. I’m looking for something to run on a set top box, which is already connected to my AV receiver. The differentiation here is that I would need to navigate with a remote instead of a touchscreen. Many, many, many applications face this problem of being installable on phones and tablets but not other android devices. So while this isn’t a surprise, it would be nice to get rid of another device that’s only serving one purpose.

Hi Michael,
I listen to all kinds of music at home, mostly with Roon, but sometimes the 1000+ vinyl records too. I control Roon mostly through my iPhone as a remote, with Ropieee on a Raspberry Pi with a display (great!) as a streamer (plugged into a Peachtree Nova 150, KEFLS50 or Magnepan MMG speakers, and a SVS Micro 3000 subwoofer). It works great.

Here’s what I’d like to see:

• A better IOS app. It’s a little frustrating to move away from the Roon interface on the iPhone for 30 seconds, and then come back, and have the screen pause and reload for 5 seconds. It’s not a huge deal, but it’d feel so much more seamless if the screen didn’t have to reload.
  • Mobile access of Roon. I have spent hours trying to set up a VPN for home/work access of Roon to be able to listen to my collection at work. Or listen in the car, or on vacation, to headphones. I’d love to see some way that this can work, even with reduced quality, or limiting to use of a streaming service (Tidal). Or to be able to cache some albums in the Roon app on an iphone (or in the program) to have a ‘local’ version of Roon away from the mothership.
  • Apple Music integration. I know this is 99.9% impossible due to Apple, but got to ask. If Sonos can have Apple integration, why can’t Roon? If Roon could stream Apple Music, it would also solve some of the ‘mobile’ issue, as I could use Apple Music while mobile. I can use Tidal, but… you know. I’m always considering switching to Apple Music hosting my music collection because it would also make it easier for my family and I to share an Apple Music streaming service.
4 Likes

Hi there! Welcome to the Roon community and (I’m guessing) all of our dream job!

I have had a start-stop relationship to Roon, but feel as though I’m getting it well integrated into my home. I have Roon set up through a NAD C700, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Bel Canto e.One Stream and a Pi running RoPieee. It finally works well for me and I’m obsessed

From an expectation perspective, bug-squashing is my main focus (not that there are many, but a previous poster noted the reboot/refresh issue on iOS which for me is infuriating). I’d also love to have Lock Screen control, but….Apple

From a pie-in-the-sky perspective? I’d love to see a Roon Official Pi that’s fuss-free. Perhaps a remote that’s not beholden to the whims of Apple/Android. More affordable products? Not sure.

Welcome welcome!

Hello Michael, first of all, i like Roon very much. Please dont overforce all the comfort wishes here above the audio quality. Reliability is the first goal, then comes audio quality. Iam a music lover and want to listen with Roon in the best audio quality. Comfort is nice, also having a lot of radio stations and other (bad sounding) streaming sources, BUT its really not the first priority. For me that is more like a PC game, not important to listen to good music. Good luck with your great team/colleagues.

@ Michael - So you are that fly on our wall … :scream: I just smacked you with my iPad sorry for that, Just kidding!

Welcome!

Hope you have a great time @ ROON and keep not only listening to users, but be our ‘implementor of feature requests’ and takes ROON to the next level of top AudioSoftware and to gain the max of customer satisfaction. :sunglasses:

Hi Michael,

I did not look at the forums in a while, but I also do have a Product management backlog, and I am used to request for a lot of features.

There are very logical things that needs to be implemented in Roon I’d be happy to discuss with you, and I am even fine to take the time to document the requests and create proper feature requests if it can help.

Two things I am really missing in Roon are:

1. A more logical and better documented scanner process.
  2. I think this one sounds quite logical → Roon should be reachable from outside your users LAN now. (and without the need for your end users to start configuring a VPN). We are in 2022, how can people keep accept being able to play their music only from inside their home ? As paid users, we also should be able to share our libraries with other Roon paid users, as well as sharing our Roon links to the world using proper social network sharing tools.

You can find me on the official Roon discord, ping me over there ! (meaning).

Nice to have you onboard, I hope you’ll figure out ways to improve Roon. Asking about the community input is a great move by the way !

Welcome Michael!

1 Like

Hi @michael !

We have a least 2 things in common - I’m a lifelong musician & jazz music lover, and spent the first decade-plus of my software career in product management roles.

I’ve been a Roon subscriber for 2+ years, bought a Nucleus last year, and am fairly committed to Roon as the main interface for my musical experience. So as you might guess, my recovering PdM persona has a few thoughts about how to improve the app. :wink:

I’d be delighted to talk with you, I’ll follow up on your invite to book some time.

Warmest regards,
Barry

https://www.linkedin.com/in/barrylsmith/

Hi again,

The good news: lots of users want to talk with you!
The bad news: lots of users…

Right now it appears Calendly will only look out to the next month, so right now it doesn’t look like I’m able to book any time. Hope you’ll find a way to make more slots available.

Cheers,
Barry

I listen to Jazz, classical, contemporary classical, electronic, house, ambient and disco. I find Roon 90% a joy to use. I find though that Roon struggles identifying either very old or very new electronic music, and strangely some of the albums it can’t identify are actually on Tidal and my files are tagged properly. And the recommendations it offers for anything other than Jazz or classical are a bit obvious (yes, I am aware of Orbital and Leftfield thanks :-). I think these genres need a better metadata source, such as discogs, and a bit more care in general on the nuances of electronic and dance music.

I absolutely agree. We have three residences, one in California, one in Vilamoura, one in Singapore. And setting up Roon each time we move between our homes is not as easy as it should be, especially with a collevtion of more than 20 thousand Cds we ripped

Would it not be wonderful if Roon gave us the ability to record a vinyl album to at minimum 88/24 as we play it and automatically tagged each album and song? Please @Michael

If I had 3 homes, I would buy 3 Roon Nucleus’ and 3 lifetime accounts. I would copy my 20,000 ripped CD’s onto 3 large USB SSD’s and plug them into the Nucleus’.

2 Likes

Actually, I would setup RoonServer on a laptop and have the music on the local drive. Then carry the laptop with me between locations. Much like you already do.

1 Like

Not quite that simple. This is 15 TB worth of data, so it does not fit into an SSd. Having a single NAS , a single Core and multiple endpoints would be far more convenient and economic

To expand further, i would love to be able to check into a hotel or AirBnB anywhere, connect to the internet, open Roon and play anything from my library…

4 Likes

That would be a “Feature Request.”

And a premium feature that would be much like an in app purchase.

If you get 15tb of dropbox storage you could probably do that…