Hi Res version of LA Woman

Was thinking of picking up the HiRes. How is the 96/24 version? Would you recommend over the original cd?

I do not have the CD to see the release date, but the 96/24 was release in 2012 which probably might be a newer mix than the CD version. It is also 24 Bit. That’s a plus.

The 24 bit word length is not a tangible plus. While 24 bit (or greater) word length is good for recording and processing, it is overkill as a delivery format. Even the best kilobuck DACs possess no better than 20 bit resolution due to their analog noise floors. Not to mention, at normal levels, listeners cannot hear a 16 bit noise floor, let alone a theoretical 24 bit noise floor.

In the case of “L.A. Woman,” that is an older analog recording. Its noise floor already is well above the 16 bit level. So, the 24 bit delivery is superfluous. And it could come with the modernization and reinterpretation (read: dynamic compression and different equalization) that too often accompany digital remasters. The HDtracks 2012 download fortunately appears to retain most dynamic range, though early CD transfers do have slightly greater dynamic range.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=doors&album=l.a.+woman

AJ

I have the Doors Complete Collection in 24/96 and I think it sounds very good.

3 Likes

Ditto, in fact it’s a lot cleaner than the early CD reeases of same I had previously.

1 Like

In my system and setup I can tell the difference between the earlier CDs (using the old musical fidelity/ Arcam FMj CD player which I consider to be pretty good for playback) and recent Hi Res downloads - the latter sounds much warmer and blows away the CD playback. This is not always the case - some recordings on CDs are on par with Hi Res or SACD - for example a band like Steely Dan is just as good on CD and on par with the Japanese SACDs prints/ Hi Res downloads (except the album “Gaucho” which was published on SACD and DvD-A and was materially better than the earlier CD version). Again this stuff is so qualitative and subject to ones own set up at home - like wine tasting - no one can be wrong!

2 Likes

Oddly enough, “Gaucho” on DVD-A and SACD from the early 2000s is a pretty bad example of dynamic range compression. If you prefer that modernized and reinterpreted sound, that is your business. But it is far from faithful to the master tapes. The gold standard in fidelity to the master tapes is a Roger Nichols or Steve Hoffman mastered CD from the early 1980s.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=steely+dan&album=gaucho

AJ

Maybe so - luckily for me the “gold standard” for fidelity belongs in my audio room, setup and my interpretation of sound out of my speakers- never thought to have it quantitatively checked out. As an aside your link is interesting read but not sufficient evidence to alter my experience- perhaps on my next listen the bias will influence what I am hearing

Ironic - I was listening to “Riders On The Storm” - lol

1 Like

A ghostly classic - song reflects raw talent rarely seen these days -