HifiBerry Digi+ PRO

If this was true on September, is no longre true. I just hooked up my LH Labs Geek Out 1v5 USB DAC and Roon sees it fine… sounds great too.

Have a Digi+ Pro, using it with Pi 2B.

Sounds better than streaming via AirPlay.

Hi all, is the HifiBerry Roon image working fine with the Digi+ PRO ?

If I order the PRO, is there still any command line stuff required? Or just plug in the SD card with Roon Image and everything just works.

For background I have the Digi+ Transformer Version currently running the Hifiberry Roon Image, with a Pi 3

Also, any word when the Beta is expected to wrap up and when the Digi+ PRO is expected to hit the shelves, so to speak?

Cheers :slight_smile:

The latest images from Hifiberry work with the Digi+ Pro. You may want to try baking your own with DietPi / RoonBridge though, as it has a few advantages (it is very lightweight and writes its logs to RAM, making it pretty much immune to SD card corruption).

Either image will serve you well: Hifiberry’s does not need any configuration, while DietPi comes with a menu-driven config app.

The final (non-beta) DIgi+ Pro was released some time ago and is currently available from Hifiberry and local retailers.

1 Like

The Hifiberry image is really conveniant. Burn it on sd and thats it. There is one disadvantage, it is not able to play dsd.

Thanks Rene! Time to upgrade to the PRO version!

Was there a step up in sound quality over the Digi+ standard or transformer versions?

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Let’s just say: it sounds pretty d*rn fine.

But then again – so did the old one. :slight_smile:

Yes indeed our Digi+ Transformer version sounds very fine.

The low noise regulators and better reclocking of the PRO version sound like nice upgrades (gold plated coax connector too)

I’m (quite easily) confused by the mentions of 3.3V and 5V for the PRO version, and potential soldering involved.

I am using an iFi 5V iPower to power the Pi 3 + Digi+ Transformer version.

If I upgrade to the PRO version, do I need an additional 3.3V PSU? If so, what does the 3.3V power?

If I only use a 5V PSU, am I losing any benefits of the 3.3V? I only use COAX output (not TOSLINK optical).

Many thanks in advance

The 3.3V is an option for purists to able able to power their Digi+ directly (as opposed to powering it via the PI’s GPIO headers).

Since you’ve got a decent PSU, I doubt that you’ll hear any difference. Just plug on the Digi+ Pro, plug in the iFi and start listening. :slight_smile:

Fantastic. The Digi+ transformer + iFI 5V iPower will move to the 2nd system and the Digi+ PRO + another iFi 5V will move to the main system :slight_smile:

We use the Digi+ in combination with an iFi SPDIF Purifier - works really well. Perhaps the iFi SPDIF Purifier will have less of a difference with the Digi+ PRO. Will find out when we get our hands on it :slight_smile:

Why is that? What is needed to play DSD files?

I don’t know why. Restriction in the HifiBerry OS i guess.
If you need dsd you can use the dietpi OS . This should play dsd64.

I am only asking because Hifiberry image is now open and if I am not mistaken they are both Debian distributions of Linux. So whatever it is loaded via $ sudo dietpi-software I guess can also now be manually added in Hifiberry image. That is why I was asking for specifics…

The Dietpi is a simple, very straightforward solution, with a menu-based installation. Works very well - I have now three pi’s running.

1 Like

+1. DietPi rocks.

1 Like

Another possible contender to the pro might be the Pi2 Design 502DAC. It has AES output.

From the Pi2 team: “502SPD is replaced by our 502DAC with combined digital and analog functionality. Final revision is underway and we’ll have units beginning of March.”

Will it have AES output? " we use a 6.35mm jack for space reasons, but will supply a 6.35mm to XLR male adapter with each unit."

Not sure if this will rival the pro version for sound?

Hifiberry digi+ pro’s are out of stock in Canada. So I have to wait anyways before I can order anything.

I am running a Rpi3 with Dietpi and RoonBridge installed. It is working flawlessly.

I have ordered a Digi+ Pro HAT and it should be arriving any day now.

Is attaching the Digi+ Pro to the Rpi3 a simple plug and play operation?

Or do I need to add additional software and change configuration settings in Dietpi?

Thanks!

Attaching the Digi+ Pro is a simple plug operation, but in order to play, you’ll need to configure the hardware. Fortunately, in Dietpi, it’s very easy. Just log in and issue the dietpi-config command. Choose option 2 (Audio options), select the Soundcard option, and then select the hifiberry-digi-pro to set it up.

Thank you Geoff! I just did a “dry run” (the Digi+Pro has not arrived yet) and it is indeed as simple as you just described. Thanks!!!