M.2 SSD 256GB

8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet
Raspberry Pi w/Ropieee

Connected Audio Devices

Mytek Liberty DAC via USB

Description of Issue

Occationaly but not every time, higher bitrate files or DSD files will sound “fuzzy” or distorted. Usually, I can play different files and come back to the distorted files and they sound normal. In the case of DSD files which I know are compatible with the DAC will sound good for a awhile, and then start to have problems. On my second system, where I have a Bifrost 2 which Roon downsamples I don’t have a problem at all.

I’m just curious if it’s possible the Roon Core is not powerful enough or there is something wrong with the DAC.

An example of a album I have trouble with occasionally is Solarium which is 352.8khz-24bit

What processing speed is roon showing in the signal pathwhen playing 384?

Roon
Here is what’s displayed.

So no problems with the core speed then.

1 Like

Have you tried different USB cables.

I can only speculate but I believe what you’re hearing is something, either streamer or DAC, not keeping up with that high of a bitrate. If you’re right on the edge cables may influence speed / stability across the USB. What is your streamer? I assume you are wired and no wifi?

Can you downsample, one step at a time, on the main system and hear if it smooths out? I’d be interested to know if reducing the bitrate solves the issue.

2 Likes

I could try it, although it doesn’t happen all the time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.