High CPU Usage on Mac Mini 2018

Same issue with 2018 Mac Mini here.

It’s espcially irritating because if I close Roon to avoid the noisy fan caused by Roon unnecessarily smashing CPU usage, on restart it forces a library rescan from my NAS which takes forever. I’m starting to think the high CPU usage has something to do with the library scan, but even after the scan is finished, the CPU is still at peak usage and fan is being noisily overworked. I don’t have a single other apllication that causes this behaviour.

3GHz i5 running 10.14.6 and had same issue before upgrading OS

Even with the library disabled in settings so that Roon has no music available (eliminating the library scan on restart), after restart still the same crazy high CPU usage.

Hi @Dan_Backman/@EvilGnome6/@Dirk_Leas/@Poo,

Thank you again for your reports here and I appreciate your patience while we have been investigating this further. QA has noticed some strange networking activity when Roon is in this state for other users and we are trying to identify commonalities in user’s setups. Can you please:

1. Let me know the model/manufacturer of all your networking gear (including router, switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect.)

2. Are you able to reproduce the symptoms when running Roon Core on your Mac with the Mac disconnected from the network?

3. Does anyone have a MacOS device not from the list below which is suffering the same symptoms?

iMac Pro
Mac mini introduced in 2018
MacBook Air introduced in 2018 or later
MacBook Prointroduced in 2018 or later

@noris

Synology DS1813+ NAS
Netcomm NF18ACV-02 Router
D-Link DGS-1016A Switch

When I physically remove ethernet cable to my Mac Mini 2018 and disable wireless network then launch Roon, the application loads but doesn’t get beyond the start sequence. It gets as far as the grey screen with Roon logo that moves as a load screen but not into Roon itself.

Edit: I left Roon running and it finally loaded notifying me that my storage loacations are offline. As soon as the app loaded to this point, with the Mac Mini disconnected completely from the network and no music library available, the high CPU usage started again. Fluxtuates between approx 200% - 250% CPU in activity monitor and fans are blasting.

@noris any update? Doesn’t seem related to network hardware, at least in my case.

Hi @Poo,

Thanks for providing the above information, we are currently investigating your report. Can you please let me know one additional piece of info here - if you reboot your Core, does the same high CPU usage immediately appear or does it drop to normal for a while?

I’m not @Poo, but for me when Roon’s CPU usage starts staying high even when not in use, restarting my server fixes it for a while. I use 2 extensions: Roon web controller (by @Mike_Plugge) and deep Harmony (by @Adam_Goodfellow). And when Roon starts spiking, everything starts spiking. RoonAppliance, RAAT, and both extensions. I’ve tried stopping the extensions when the spiking starts, but it doesn’t help. Restarting the Roon Server app also doesn’t help. The only thing that seems to help is restarting the Mini. I last restarted a day or 2 ago, and CPU usage has been normal since even after listening to Roon for a good while last night. Unfortunately, I haven’t noticed a pattern to when it starts spiking yet.

Some specs:

• Core: Mac Mini 2018 3.2Ghz i7. macOS 10.14.6. Running Roon Server 1.6 (416). Using an Apogee Groove connected to a Marantz NR1609. My music files are stored on a Drobo 5D loaded with WD Red drives and connected with a thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter (not TB 3). I migrated from a 2012 Mini a couple of months ago and don’t ever remember having CPU spikes on the old Mini.
  • Main endpoint: Mid 2019 15" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz i7. macOS 10.14.6. Roon 1.6 (416). Chord Mojo dac.
  • The Mini is connected to our Synology RT2600ac router via a Netgear gigabit switch ( GS108). The MBP is connected to the network via 802.11ac through a latest gen AirPort Extreme which is connected to the RT2600ac through a 2nd Netgear GS108 switch.
1 Like

Just responding so you know I’m watching in case help needed with deep harmony.

Hi @noris thanks for your reply. Yes on restart CPU starts high around 200-250% then jumps to approx 350, gradually settling back to the 200-250 range after a few seconds.

Those are the results I experienced yesterday.

As of today after reading @jcharr1 response I restarted the Mac, loaded Roon, and for the last 1/2 hr CPU has been between 35-50% most of the time whether idle or playing music.

Will keep an eye on things, because I’ve no idea what has changed, seems very odd. Fingers crossed I guess?

Okay, I"m hitting this again too (I previously thought the OS upgrade fixed it, but it didn’t).

Here are the datapoints:

1. rebooting the machine seems to fix it (for a while) … but it comes back
  2. my Roon.app is acting as a client and bridge ONLY, the core is on another (Linux) host. The core operates normally
  3. when the Roon.app is experiencing high CPU, I rebooted the core, and there was no effect. the client stayed in high CPU (500%+) even while the core was unreachable.
  4. I cannot correlate the high CPU state to doing anything in particular. it seems to happen if it has been either ( running a long time ) or ( a long time since the last reboot - including the client host being in sleep mode)
  5. the high CPU does not seem to be directly triggered by the host coming out of sleep mode

Sorry, no reproduceable data points here yet, but these are all direct (and verified) observations.

I just woke up to find my Mini asleep (which it’s not supposed to do). As soon as I Remote Desktoped in to wake it up, Roon and it’s components’ CPU usage immediately shot up. I quit Roon Server, and CPU usage went back to normal. But when I relaunched it, usage for all 4 immediately shot back up. Rebooting the Mini seems to have fixed it as before.

Here’s a screenshot from iStat View showing when I woke the Mini up.

And here are the logs for all 4 from Activity Monitor: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0PtscYAfsnhNDAuMksLBEZFbw#RoonCPULogs

Hello All,

Thank you for providing the additional data points, I have added this info to our investigation.
We are actively trying to source gear to see if we can reproduce your findings on our end, and I appreciate everyone’s input on this issue so far.

The common thread here seems to be that this behavior occurs as soon as Roon is launched, but if there are any other specific reproduction steps that you can share which will get us into this state please do let me know. Otherwise, I appreciate your patience while we conduct this investigation, thanks!

I just picked up a new late 2018 Mac mini 3.2 and 8 gigs of ram and my CPU has been around 10% and around 1 gig of ram for the Roon appliance. I am looking at the activity monitor application. I am only streaming from tidal and my DSP is upresing to 192Khz.

I also have encountered this problem now. This iMac 2019 (i5 3.7 GHz, 40 GB, macOS 10.14.6) running core and UI. Audio is using RAAT (Lyngdorf TDAI-3400). Rebooting the iMac cured the problem, at least for now.

1 Like

I’ve stopped using Roon few months ago because of this high CPU load issue. I’m disappointed to see that it’s still not solved. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

1 Like

Dan, I run 10.14.16 on my MacBook Pro and it still overheats from Roon high CPU load at least once a day. When that happens I need to quit Roon to stop the overheating.

1 Like

My MacBook Pro overheats even with no network activity (Roon core, audio library and local DAC endpoint all on the Mac) just like it does when I use an Airplay streaming endpoint.

1 Like

Not for me, overheating happens abruptly only after hours of use. When I reboot, everything is normal again until a few hours later when it all happens again.

1 Like

I too have this when I am using my 2018 i9 MBP 15"

Just curious - is anyone who is having this issue not using local Roon audio outputs on their mac - ie not using apple core audio at all?

I am not using local audio and am running into issues on the 6-core Mac mini.

Room.app is in pure client only mode. Remote core for the library and remote bridge to output the audio. No local audio device is configured/enabled.