High memory usage (memory leak?) [Resolved - Build 216]

After a while, my Roon memory is beginning to get quite high, see attached picture. Its not doing any library work (analyzing tunes etc), and when I restart Roon, the memory starts to creep up until I restart it again. An estimate of maybe 20 tunes/1 Gb or memory increase.

I noticed this after I did room correction and added convolution, so that might be related. Or is there some caching mechanism going on?

My Roon memory is at 3Gb now, so something is not right. Time to restart again!

Just as another data point, I have about 105k tracks (~6,400 albums), and my memory usage hovers between 1.6 and 1.8GB. MacOS 10.12.3.

Hi @Magnus ---- Thank you for the feedback and sharing your observations with us. May I kind ask you to please verify the following information for me:

1. The specs of the machine hosting your Roon core.

2. What is your library size like, based on number of tracks?

3. Can you provide a screen shot of your DSP settings.

-Eric

Hi Eric

I run Roon locally on my computer, which is a Intel i7 7700k with 16 Gb of memory, running Windows 10, connected to a DragonFly Red DAC in exclusive mode. I run a convolution filter which I generated for room correction with REW + rephase.

I did some experimenting, and every new tune started adds 20 Mb to the memory (its added directly at start of tune), but if I disable the convolution filter than the memory stays at 400 mb, so the convolution filter is the problem. I created the wav files for the convolution filter according to this guide: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f23-dsp-room-correction-and-multi-channel-audio/using-rew-and-rephase-generate-amplitude-and-time-domain-corrections-30760/.

If I use convolution filters from REW only (wave files that are much smaller), the problem remains exactly the same.

Here is everything turned off except the convolution DSP settings. I restarted Roon with these settings only, and it “steals” around 20 mb of memory for each new tune. It does not matter if the tune is from Tidal or from local file.

After a while, my Roon memory is beginning to get quite high, see attached picture. Its not doing any library work (analyzing tunes etc), and when I restart Roon, the memory starts to creep up until I restart it again. An estimate of maybe 20 tunes/1 Gb or memory increase.

I noticed this after I did room correction and added convolution, so that might be related. Or is there some caching mechanism going on?

Each tune played? Queued? Imported? Analyzed?

Could you also tell us the size of your collection based on tracks? Has analysis completed in Settings > Library?

1 Like

All tunes analyzed (finished days before), and whether I have played the tune before or not does not matter. If I disable the convolution filter (which I generated from REW for room correction), it does not steal any memory. Once I turn it on, it goes back to “stealing” around 20Mb whenever I start playing a tune.

Thanks Magnus – since your memory issues are related to your Core (as opposed to a remote) I’ve split this thread back. @Eric is going to follow up and collect some more info.

Stand by!

Hi @Magnus ---- Thank you for the feedback! Are you able to provide us a copy of the convolution file you used, via a dropbox link in a PM?

If you are not a dropbox user, no worries, just let me know and I can offer an alternative delivery method.

-Eric

Hi Eric

Just tested the new build, and this issue seems fixed. I can see a slight memory increase for each new tune, but that might just be garbage collection or image caching or something similar. The +20Mb for each new tune is definitely gone when I use a convolution filter.

1 Like

My thread is closed, but I posted in the 1.3Gb thread earlier today.

I have been running all day now with a stereo convolution filter (made according to my room correction thread), and the memory has stayed at around 700 mb, so works like a charm! :slight_smile:

1 Like