High resolution audio from Amazon

The Amazon UI on Apple TV is fine.

I was quoting and replying to David, not you, who said:

“I just wish the Amazon app had a better interface.”

I know that. And I replied to you that the Amazon UI on Apple is fine.

That’s great James. Happy to read you enjoy it.

Let’s give another provider a fair chance.

Shoot!
Unfortunately, subscribers to Amazon’s new Amazon Music HD tier of service won’t be able to stream the CD and hi-res versions that they’re entitled to. At the moment, the Apple TV app doesn’t support either of these higher-quality formats. Instead, you’ll be offered the same catalog as Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers.

Don’t use Apple TV.

1 Like

I’m back streaming from my iPad to ATV until Roon gets there! With the iPad you can see the resolution you’re streaming, and I know the ATV is limited to 48kHZ which is ok with me.

A fun little experiment there. It was sounding good until you found out it was lossy.

Don’t worry, I’ve failed a blind test a couple times before too.

Yes, I’m as screwed up as the next person, except I’m older!

1 Like

Please consider not replying to any of my post. Thanks.

Noted, I shall consider.

But when you made comments earlier in this thread like "Incoming rate is not limited to 24/96. I stream 24/192 to the Dragonfly. I think you have it backwards"

I think I helped some other people with correcting some of your comments because some might have thought their Dragonfly and/or iPad was broken… or that you had a Special Edition Dragonfly.

I try and share accurate info around here to try and help others.

Hope that helped.

2 Likes

Which Bose speakers are you using, out of curiosity?

The Bose Soundtouch 300’s internal DAC will do 96/24, so higher resolutions are going to be down-sampled.

1 Like

They are limited by my Bose DAC to 24/96. If I plug my iPad into my Oppo 203, I can listen to 24/192 with headphones. In the latter case, I’m not using the Soundtouch app, just streaming from Amazon. This is the same situation I have with Tidal, Qobuz, and Roon, except with none of the problems introduced by Roon.

I plan to add an amp and speakers using analog out from my Oppo sometime in the future.

Well if that works for you then that’s a good solution.

I’m curious… What is better about Amazon HD music that makes people want to drop Tidal or Qobuz in favor of Amazon HD? Is it price? Something else?

Price and quantity. Amazon is cheaper and has a better selection.

The race to the bottom on price is not as good a thing as might be expected, especially if artists don’t get paid enough.
It’s bad enough now, so Amazon being cheaper and such a power in the markets doesn’t bode well for the future in my view.
Personally I’ll stick with Tidal as they are higher up the scale when I comes to remunerating artists.

9 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, Chris.
As Danny @danny has said in this thread before, as Roon users, we ‘spend big’ compared to other music lovers.
We should do all we can to fairly remunerate the artists who give us so much pleasure.
And we should do everything we can to resist a ‘race to the bottom’.
Support your favourite artists! Otherwise you might find they’re not there anymore…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t make assumptions about how much services pay to artists based on monthly fees. Tidal likely has higher costs for delivery, because they need to rent CDN from someone else, while Amazon has their own AWS. In addition, Tidal needs to pay license fees to MQA too, which Amazon doesn’t.

Amazon can likely also gain more listeners for the tracks than Tidal can. Competition is good, but it is very hard to draw any conclusions about artist remunerations without actual data.

1 Like