Hissing Noise from USB ouput of Intel NUC

I looked at your diagram, it suggests no HDMI is connected. Is this correct?
I know of some users who have complained about the NUC HDMI connection causing issues with USB interference. If you have HDMI connected, trying disconnecting it.

FWIW, I use an Intona 7055-B on my NUC.
The 7055 is a phy-level receiver/isolator/reclocker/repacketizer galvanic isolation device.
SQ is audibly improved using it in my system, V’s direct USB from NUC to DAC.
The difference is very audible, sound becomes more relaxed, less strained.

Plenty of reviews both measured and subjective online.

Good luck.

I didn’t see it but…

You have a CXN V2… Why are you plugging this directly into the NuC? This should be on the network. Roon should send audio to this device over the network.

The only thing that should be plugged into the NuC is power cable and ethernet. Have you tried that?

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know in your case.

Usually an ethernet connection avoids the ground loops and computer noise that can be a problem with a direct USB connection.

And again if there is only an ethernet connection (and nothing else) between the NUC running the core - and the endpoint connected to the USB DAC - there should be no opportunity for NUC related noise to get to the DAC.

However you may have something else happening - perhaps RF noise from the power supply sent via the mains earth - or just EM through the air because of proximity.

I hope your new power supply might help.

I can’t recall if you tried moving your NUC far away from the amp - that may also help.

1 Like

Seems like an important clue.

1 Like

Hi @Grizaudio I am not using HDMI out from NUC. The hiss is transmitted via USB output from NUC to my DACs, though I have iFi iDefender installed before input to DACs.

@ipeverywhere @GregD excellent idea, I should move my NUC away from amp and move near to my router, this may help to reduce the hiss.

However, my current NUC and CXN V2 are connected to wired network switch from wireless mesh router , if i move NUC next to main router, i am not sure if both NUC and CXN V2 will sit on the same gateway and accessible… I will try later after relocating NUC if my ROON remote can find CXN V2 or D90 DAC

I have checked with Accuphase distributor, a little hiss is not abnormal when listen close to speaker tweeter. For my case, I just need to reduce the hiss as it sound like tuning radio frequency up and down

Is that really hiss? Or squeal?

AJ

1 Like

Yes, it’s high pitched zZzz sound, i may have used the wrong word.

It’s always recommended to describe every aspect of your system, it’s interconnections and symptoms as verbally as possible, in order to enable remote contributors to make meaningful guesses…you’ve not been doing yourself a favour so far.

Reading the most recent disclosure, my suspicions about needing a true USB isolator are confirmed even more.

EDIT:
Of course, isolating core from DAC could always be achieved by any other network attached endpoint, but that always includes more active electronic components in the digital path than with an Intona unit…

Just why?? It even isn’t recommended by Roon to use a Nucleus (or a Rock on the same hardware basis) like this. So why not using a purposely built streamer (RoPieee, other RPi based, iFi Zen, …) here. It’s a bit like creating a problem in the first place and then working on the symptoms rather than the root cause!?

Blockquote

you’ve not been doing yourself a favour so far.

Blockquote

Hi Marin, I have enclosed a single line diagram of my audio connection few post above and have tried to explain my best, english is not my first language, poor narrative and/or wrong terminology which may cause some confusion is regrettable.

1 Like

I have mentioned that I have Roon Endpoint which is CXN V2 in many of my threads before, do I still need a RoPoee? CXN V2 is a dedicated music streamer from Cambridge Audio.

In my audio single line diagram few post above,

I have two path of audio distribution

a) From Intel NUC to CXN V2

b) From Intel NUC to Topping DAC D90 or Denafrips Aries II

Both setup provides the “high pitched” frequency sound even when Amp volume turn to 0.

After isolating the connection as recommended, root cause has been “nearly found”, i.e. Intel NUC itself or the power supply unit potentially is ground loop issue.

You have a streamer. Then just don’t USB-connect the NUC to anything and the hiss should be gone.

Roon Core —-network—> streamer —-USB—> DAC —-XLR—> Accuphase

1 Like

Wait. The Cambridge looks like a player (streamer / DAC combination).

If you want another DAC to feed your Accuphase this in fact would require a dedicated streamer (no internal DAC stage). Like for example a RoPieee or iFi Zen Stream.

For the Cambridge:

Core —network—> Cambridge —-XLR—> Accuphase

1 Like

Thanks @Bernd_Kurte for your explanation. Yes, I will ditch the USB connection from NUC.

Looks like the following shall be my audio distribution : -

a) Core - ethernet/WLAN - CXN V2 - XLR/RCA - Accuphase (via CXN V2 internal Wolfson DAC)

b) Core - ethernet/WLAN - CXN V2 - Toslink or Coaxial - D90 or Aries II - XLR/RCA - Accuphase (bypass CXN V2 DAC)

1 Like

Should be working fine. Hope this will solve your nasty problem. :wink:

1 Like

I hope so @Bernd_Kurte .

My earlier understanding of USB connection to DACs or CXN V2 is for the max. audio resolution 24bit/192kHz from NUC as photo illustrates below: -

Without the USB input from NUC, my max audio output from digital coaxial/toslink is 24bit/96kHz.

There are no such limits to a network connection. You are able to feed maximum resolution into the Cambridge (or any other streamer). What the Cambridge does downstream (via TOSLINK into the D90 or Aries) is due to its internal limits. If you need USB into these DACs for audio resolution purposes get another dedicated streamer (see earlier posts).

In any case: DO NOT USE THE CORE’S USB :wink:

1 Like

@Bernd_Kurte I just checked CXN V2 specification from the operation manual, it said SPDIF coaxial is max audio at 32/384kHz, that’s good news. Yes, I will remember now not to use Core’s USB.

And I will select DoP native DSD in CXN V2 ROON DSD setting.