History oddities on migration

Hi - not sure if this is a ROCK specific issue, or more general around library migrations. I recently migrated to my new NUC7i7BNH with internal 2TB drive. Everything went across with no problems, and it works brilliantly. My history file is present and correct, showing I’ve played some 45k tracks over the past couple of years, showing dates & times of when they were played. However, if I view the individual albums the play count is zero. Anything I’ve played since the migration is appearing, and the history file is being added to with the post-migration activities. It’s as if the history file wasn’t applied to the live DB somehow?

Any ideas? I could really do with this working, as I build playlists based on play counts, and don’t want to lose a couple of years worth of activity!

Hi @VincentB,

I’ll tag @support to follow this up with you, in the meantime could you confirm what process steps you used when you migrated the Roon database and what it was running on previously.

Hi @Carl, thanks for your response. This is the second time I’ve done a Roon core & library migration - The first time I temporarily moved it from a mac mini (internal storage) to a MacBook with the audio on an external drive. I’m working overseas for a while, so temporarily needed the portability. This migration was fine, with all history moving as expected.
I’m now building my new more permanent solution around ROCK. I followed the same migration process (built ROCK, copied the audio to the internal drive, then restored from the last backup I did on the MacBook) As I say, the history file is present and correct, but it hasn’t applied it properly. I still have all the backups, so can repeat the process if need be, but thought I’d take some advice first in case it’s something simple. Thanks again.

I’ve also noticed my Playlists haven’t appeared, aside from 4 which are all empty. The two in this screenshot for example say “This Playlist is Empty” if you click on it, despite looking like the correct number of tracks.

I’m thinking I should try the restore again, but will await advice.

Hi @support, any thoughts on this one? I tried restoring from an earlier backup, same issue, history file is there, complete & correct, but the play count hasn’t been applied to the individual albums (all have 0 as play count) See example of history file (tracks played on June 14th) & current album view showing 0 plays below;

Hi @VincentB — Thank you for the report and the continued feedback. Both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, our QA team is going to be doing some testing to see if we can reproduce this behavior in house. Once my report has been updated and passed back, I will be sure to update you with the team’s findings. Your patience is appreciated while we conduct our investigation.

-Eric

Thanks @Eric - some more info which may help. It also looks like cover art edits have not been applied to the DB either. However, bookmarks are all present and correct.

Hi @VincentB ----- Thank you for touching base and sharing this recent observation with us. Very appreciated!

Moving forward, our techs would like to have you run the following test to see if we can trigger a change in behavior here. Please see below.

1. Before anything please make a back up of your current database for good measure :sunglasses:

2. Please remove the current database which you built on the NUC.

3. Try to restore from your old DB (“restored from the last backup I did on the MacBook”)

4. Once the DB is in place, instead of pointing your watch folder(s) to the internal storage on the NUC, can you please set them to look at the external drive where the media was previously residing?

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

Hi @Eric - I’m on the case. One question, how do I remove the current DB? (step 2) Thanks.

OK curiosity got the better of me and I repointed ROCK to the external drive without deleting the old DB and restoring again. Voila, play history back in the individual albums, and album art edits back as they should be. So, it looks as though it’s something to do with the way the DB deals with the internal drive? Note - the folder structure on the internal drive is identical to the external drive, however, within the Roon App there’s no way to see the drive as anything more than as single “Music Folder”, rather than the three individual watched folders I used to have (“Music”,“New Music” and “Flac”) Screenshots to follow which should make it clearer.

Before repointing

After disabling internal Music Folder and repointing to external drive

Folder structure of ROCK internal drive

External drive - same folder structure

Album play counts back!

Hi @VincentB ---- Thank you for touching base with me and sharing the observation(s) you’ve made since the proposed test. Very appreciated!

Moving forward, If you’re following the library migration correctly, the folder structure doesn’t need to be the same because we are going to be looking at files, since they were already imported into Roon once. If it is working with the USB drive attached, it sounds as if you may not have edited the storage paths or removed the old storage paths.

-Eric

Just followed the process again - disabled (not removed) the external locations as per the instructions, enabled the internal “Music Folder” drive. Same problem - all play counts on individual albums back to Zero, all album artwork edits gone. Storage page now looks like this;

Thanks again for your help here

Think I’ve resolved the issue! I went back to using the external drive, all play counts and artwork returned to be correct. Then I went to this page and cleaned up the library;

I then disabled the three external drive locations, and repointed to the internal “Music Folder” drive. It went through a rescan of the audio, once it had completed everything looks as it should! I’m guessing the DB was confused by the associations with the disabled storage, and once that was cleaned up the history file was correctly applied to the new locations? Anyway, all seems well now, I’ll have a good look through to check there’s nothing awry or missing. My storage locations now look like the below, is it now recommended to delete these old locations (I no longer need them) or just leave them disabled?

1 Like

Hi @VincentB ---- Great work, here :thumbsup: Thank you for sharing the results of your testing!

In terms of the old storage locations you should be good to “remove” them :wink: Happy listening!

-Eric