History STILL not working properly and now a new issue [Solved with update to Roon 1.5]

Great! Thank you for confirming that @bob_prangnell!

The provided DB has been attached to your ticket which is back in our tech team’s queue for further analysis. Once your ticket has been passed back I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you asap. Your continued patience while the team conducts their evaluation is appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @bob_prangnell ---- I wanted to touch base with you and offer a quick update.

I just spoke with our tech who has been testing with the DB you had provided us with for some feedback on his evaluation. He has informed me that both TIDAL and local content have been recording into “history” successfully with the correct percentages. These observations he has made are staying consistent with the information provided above in Brian’s feedback.

In light of these findings we are going to discuss these observations in further detail with some DEV team members later in the week.

-Eric

Thanks. OK I’d like to start with a new database but could do with knowing how to extract some things from the old database like

– playlists
– favorites
– all the tidal albums I’ve added

Do you have a database tool that can do that? Or somehow export and print?

I really need the history to be working - I do several hours each day testing stuff and this means playing the same songs and also rarely listening to the end of the track, and right now it’s useless.

But I also have lots of playlists of various tracks to test various things, etc. Hope you can help.

PS tell the devs to try setting NZ time zone only it seems to me like some time-related bug.

Hi @bob_prangnell ----- Thank you for touching base with me, the follow up is appreciated.

Continuing forward, our tech team has passed your DB over to our one of our developers for further analysis to see if we can gain any more feedback on this behavior you are experiencing with history. During the team’s test runs they did not see anything out of the ordinary in the Roon logs and as you know they had no issues, so we are trying to determine what could be causing you to have a different experience. Once the additional testing has completed I will be sure to reach back out ASAP.

Furthermore, I wanted to address your questions in regard to extracting elements of your DB. This is not possible unfortunately as the only way to ensure that “playlists” and “favorites” are preserved is to restore from a previously created backup. TIDAL content is going to be linked to your TIDAL account so as soon as TIDAL is logged in on Roon, even if it’s a new install all, of that content will be brought back over.

-Eric

Hi @bob_prangnell ----- Thank you for your patience here!

I wanted to follow up with you as our DEV team has concluded their testing with your DB and have informed me that they found an issue that was causing the problems with “history” being recorded correctly. A fix is currently being tested by our QA team, and while I cannot say for certain when exactly it will be deployed I will be sure to keep this thread up to date.

-Eric

1 Like

Having a similar issue, what this fix ever deployed?

Not yet but I don’t think there’s been a release since they figured it out. Turns out it seems to happen (to me at least) if I use convolution in Roon and then pass on stream to HQplayer. I do convolution now in HQplayer as I have a faster PC and the problem is gone.

@David_Olson and @bob_prangnell — Thank you both for your patience here!

To offer a quick update here. A fix has been made that we believe will address this behavior and our tech team has completed their testing of the fix. As of right now it is slated to go out with our next build release.

-Eric

1 Like

I have only one profile but access history from two different machines (iPad and Mac Book air server) on the same network, the server talks to a total of three audio devices (which are never played simultaneously so the time stamping is never conflictual). History is CAPRICIOUS, that is the correct term. Sometimes it shows, sometimes only after a while, sometimes in full.

History is very useful. It should be RELIABLE. I understand this thread is old but the topic - the issue - is still alive. Could not it be fixed ?

@Christian_DEPLANTE / @bob_prangnell / @David_Olson -

Thank You for contacting support, I’d be happy to give you an update on our progress regarding song history. We are aware that there was a bug affecting our tracking of song history and this has been addressed in our most recent Version 1.5 Roon Core Update.

The songs played should now show up in your history if any of the following conditions have been met:

• more than 30 seconds have played
• more than 1/3 of the track has played
• the track ended naturally–i.e. the seek position advanced all the way to the end of the track without user intervention

If you are still having issues with songs not showing up after you have updated to Roon Version 1.5 please let me know and I can provide additional steps for us to try and figure out what’s going wrong.

Thanks,
Noris

2 Likes

Looks like it fixed my issue. I can even see previous history, which is a plus as I was looking for a song that started on Radio a while back.

You guys rock!

1 Like

The issue is not tracks that never appear. Tracks within these conditions always appear… at some point. That is the issue, which is that you can have or have not access to History, sometimes it shows up immediately, sometimes it does not for hours, without knowing why, that is the reason for asking for a more stable and reliable behavior.
I access my Library from the iPad Roon app, maybe the new version of it might fix that ?

@Christian_DEPLANTE,

We have made some improvements in this area of the application with the new 1.5 Core Update. Can you please check to see if you are still having delays in the songs registering after playing them with the new update? If there are still delays, please let me know and we can take a closer look at what’s going wrong.

Thanks,
Noris

Yes thanks, it is just installed I will monitor how it goes and report here.

Hi,
Thanks for delivering release 1.5.
Like I said in another post, would be cool from you (at least for non-Mac/Time Machine users) to keep a possibility to download the fore but last version, in case of doubt.

The behavior of history is more stable indeed. One issue remains. When I put my MacBook Air in sleep mode and keep the iPad Roon control session opened, upon resetting the MacBook and associated Roon server, the history is lost on the iPad side.

The way around is to close and reopen the Roon control session on iPad. But it should not be difficult for you to circumvent that now minor issue.

Thanks again for progress. IMHO next step on ergonomics could be to enable smooth import/export of playlists between iTunes and Roon. And more Playlist merge operations.

Best regards

A post was merged into an existing topic: History is blank

Hello @Christian_DEPLANTE & @bob_prangnell,

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated. Unfortunately, downgrading is not supported, you can read further as to why it is not supported here. If you would like any additional features added to Roon such as the feature to enable smooth import/export of playlists between iTunes and Roon, that would have to be submitted under our Feature Requests area of the Community Site.

Thank you for letting me know about the history bug you are experiencing, I have forwarded your report to our QA team who can look into this issue further. I will update you on their findings after they have completed their report.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris! Will be pleased to read your update.

I have filled two Feature Requests, plus the comment that Feature Request should be accessible directly as a distinctive icon or button from the top menu.

Hello @Christian_DEPLANTE,

I have gone ahead and closed this thread since the original issue is [Solved] and have moved Bob’s reply into a new thread. Since you are experiencing the same issue I want to share the thread link for you as well:

Please go ahead and post there regarding information about the history tab disappearing on your remotes.

Thanks,
Noris