History Vanishes from Remote when core restarts [Ticket in]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

AMD Ryzen 5/windows 10/latest roon 64 bit 1.6.401

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Various gigbit ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/ect.)

USB DAC connected to remote roon

Description Of Issue

I have reported this very reproducible bug before but it’s not been fixed.,.

On a roon remote, whether pc or ipad, the history vanishes when the main core roon is restarted.

You need to restart the remote to get the history back. This is a pita on my main system as when the remote is restarted, the windows police security processes use up enough cpu/network for several minutes to make the system have glitches until it’s done.

Also it’s annoying as my main roon core restarts itself from time to time, and sometimes crashes the whole machine. I don’t know why this happens either but it’s a random and hard to find bug I guess. Whereas the history one is not. Please fix it…

I see this bug also. It also effects focused bookmarks that are filtered by play count/last played times.

Hello @bob_prangnell & @Derek_Wyman,

Thanks for the reports here. I have been trying to reproduce the issue that you mentioned but I am unable to do so, I tried the following on Windows x64/Ryzen 7/Roon 1.6 b401 and ROCK b401:

• Have history tab open on iPad while connected to Windows Core -> Reboot Windows Core -> History loads as expected when re-connected

• Have history tab open on iPad while connected to ROCK Core -> Reboot ROCK Core from WebUI -> History loads as expected when re-connected

• Have history tab open on iPhone X while connected to Windows Core -> Reboot Windows Core -> History loads as expected when re-connected

• Have history tab open on iPhone X while connected to ROCK Core -> Reboot ROCK Core from WebUI -> History loads as expected when re-connected

• Have history tab open on Windows x64 as a Roon Remote connected to ROCK Core -> Reboot ROCK core from WebUI -> History loads as expected when re-connected

Maybe I’m missing something here, but are you rebooting your cores while on this history tab or are you rebooting it while on other parts of the app? Is there any further reproduction steps that you can possibly provide?

Thanks,
Noris

Try this, it’s failing for me every time:

1. Start a Roon remote, either iPad or PC. Just go to overview screen. Don’t go to history.
  2. On Roon Core, simply stop and start the Roon program, no need to reboot.
  3. When Roon remote reconnects, now go to History. I get blank every time.
1 Like

Hello @bob_prangnell,

Thanks for providing those clear reproduction steps. I have been able to reproduce this issue on my end and I have filed a ticket with the QA team.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

– Noris

After the last release I thought the bug was fixed. It is NOT.

Although it now works in the trivial case that I provided above, after using for a while the same thing happens - no history. Please go look at the code - there’s got to be some more bugs lurking. It’s obvious that in the case the bug occurs, there’s no attempt to try to fetch history - just comes up immediately with the blank screen - seems like someone is holding an invalid handle to the previous roon incarnation.

(One reason this bug is so annoying is that restarting the client on my end point means bloody windows security spends 5 mins doing something, so the machine is unable to play music properly for this time. So I want to use history, I have to wait 5 mins. Come on we pay good money for this sort of basic stuff to work…)

Hello @bob_prangnell,

Thanks for pinging me again here. Yes, we are aware of this issue, have already reproduced this behavior and the ticket is with the dev team pending review.

I can’t say for sure when exactly it will be addressed, but I do see that is in the dev team’s queue and they are planning to take a look at this. As soon as I have new info to share, I will be sure to let you know and I appreciate your patience here!

– Noris

Roon 1.6 (build 416) x64 running on Windows 10 Pro x64.

Wired ethernet; 2.4 and 5 Wi-Fi. Xfinity cable modem, NetGear router. Roon server connected solely by wired ethernet.

I noticed recently (a week ago, maybe) that my history is empty. Any ideas?

Hmm … History shows empty on a remote machine (running Win10 Pro x64). But on the server machine (also Win10 Pro x64), history has entries.

I just stopped and restarted the remote controller. Now history shows lots of entries.

Some sort of glitch, apparently.

Hi @James_Antognini,

I have merged your report with a similar thread. We are aware of this issue and we have a ticket regrading it. I can’t specify a timeline of when it will be addressed, but it is in the queue. Thanks!

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

RoonServer on Mac Mini

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon (remote) on MacBook Pro, and Roon remote on Android Pixel 3

Description Of Issue

I use RoonServer on a Mac Mini and control it through various Roon devices.

For some reason the history page on my Roon app on my MacBook Pro is often empty. Not always but very often. Unclear what triggers it to start working again. Right now even my last track played is not showing up in history. I see no errors in the Roon_log.txt.

fyi, if I take a look at the history on Roon on my Android device it comes up immediately.

Ok, so a quick restart of the Roon application on my MacBook fixes it - all prior history appears.

So I need to figure out what is breaking the history page such that it requires an app restart to work.

Hi @nquery,

Thanks for the report, I’ve merged it into an existing thread so we can have these reports in one place. Please see my latest on this issue above:

Ok thanks. But I want to clarify that unlike the original OP, this is not occurring due to the Roon Core being restarted. This occurs frequent in my Roon (remote) app on my MacBook Pro that I use to play music from the Core. It just starts at some point after playing music for a bit. I don’t know what the trigger is but not related to the core. History continues to work on other remote devices. Restarting the remote app immediately fixes it.

Hi @nquery,

If the issue only occurs on the one Mac remote, I would try reinstalling the Roon app to see if that helps, the existing ticket the issue is known when the Core restarts, as you mentioned.

I had this bug also in 1.7

If history is empty - i switch to profile B and back to profile A
Then history is avaliable again

Just to inform @support

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.