Homebridge Roon Outputs - Basic endpoint control with Apple HomeKit

RoonShareImage-637391340156328150

Just installed the Plugin on Homebridge - works fine. Thanks!
I also hope there will be more functionality made available through Aplle’s Homekit. But it is a very good start.

Great work. I’ve just installed it here on my HOOBS server. Working fine so far.

One question: I was hoping to include pausing a Roon endpoint on a timer, via https://plugins.hoobs.org/plugin/homebridge-delay-switch. However, if the Roon endpoint is already off, then the scene fails, as the endpoint can’t be contacted. I can see why this happens, but is there any way to silently fail if the endpoint is unavailable, so the scene setting would still work?

thx so much @jptaranto! after being unable to get it to work in HAS this worked flawlessly!

i do have a button now that can toggle play/pause! im still left puzzled how to get siri to toggle the play/pause using a voice command. is that even possible?
and if so can anyone give an example?

thx so much in advance!

Z

The key seems to be in naming the toggle in HomeKit. I would try “Roon” as a name so you can say “Hey Siri, turn Roon on in the Living Room”. Tried that yet?

Edit: Music seems to clash with the Music.app apparently.

@jptaranto i tried this a number of times but it misses many of my endpoints

Unfortunately, the package is giving errors when I try to install in Homebrdge. I even installed a fresh instance of Hoobs to try which also fails.

I get the following error:

npm ERR! code 128
npm ERR! An unknown git error occurred
npm ERR! command git --no-replace-objects ls-remote ssh://git@github.com/roonlabs/node-roon-api.git
npm ERR! No user exists for uid 99
npm ERR! fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Please make sure you have the correct access rights
npm ERR! and the repository exists.

Any help appreciated - this is exactly what I have been looking for, just frustrated I can’t install.

Thanks

Hey @matt-uk are you by any chance using homebridge in docker?

I’ve just hit this myself. I think they’ve changed things internally somehow.

I’ve asked Roon for an npm release which would make this go away for us, otherwise I’ll try and get to the bottom of what’s going on with homebridge docker and git.

@jptaranto yes it is using docker. Please can you update if you make progress?

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @matt-uk

Took a while to get there. I’ve got it installing now, but you’ll need to use a Dockerfile. Create one next to your docker-compose.yml file with this inside it:

FROM oznu/homebridge

RUN npm config set cache /homebridge/.npm --location=global
RUN git config --global url."https://".insteadOf ssh://

Yikes! New UI in iOS 16 doesn’t allow us to pause or play anymore.

Looks like I’ll need to go back to the drawing board. Might be able to implement this as a Speaker accessory which would give us volume control on top of play/pause.

Yes so options are really quite diminished at this point…

The smart speaker implementation worked/looked great in iOS 15 as the outputs showed up as actual speakers in Homekit and looked pretty flash besides the controls not working.

Now in iOS 16 a single press on the speaker no longer plays/pauses - it opens the speaker interface (which is greyed out without Airplay).

So our options are basically as simple as a switch for play/pause. In Homekit it’s going to look like a, well a switch. But will still give decent control over the zones playing status.

Ah, that is a shame.

Hey jptaranto,
thanks for your great work. But I am not sure if I understand your last post correct.

Is it true that with iOS 16 it is only possible to see the playing status but it is no longer possible to play/pause music?
If it is still possible to play/stop music, what do I have to do? :wink: Because I only see the greyed out interface…

Hey @felsus - your first statement is correct. The play/pause controls no longer work sadly. Default action in the new Home app is to open the player controls (which never worked).

Previously there was a loophole so that short pressing the speaker played/paused. That seems to have been closed off with a short press now opening the player controls.

That said I didn’t look into it too much. When I’ve got some time over the next few weeks I’ll see if something can be done.

Any progress here with iOS 17 about to drop any day now, I’m hoping for some good news