Horizontal scrolling [not on roadmap]

The scrolling jutter on iOS is giving me a headache. I’d take page scrolling back if it meant it was smooth.

1 Like

Web browsers? What Web browsers? No, I’m talking about the Roon Remote UI, which I seem always to be obliged to run in full-screen mode. JRiver, Qobuz, that’s still a different conversation – I don’t use them.

It’s all this pointless crap at the top of the screen that’s the other big issue, the big font greeting and the pointless usage statistics. On a landscape display, it takes up too much of the space.

1 Like

Do I get it right that after like 5 years of people endlessly complaining about Roon not using vertical scrolling/paging, people now gonna be bitching for years about Roon actually using vertical scrolling/paging?

What about a compromise: a random mixture of diagonal scrolling and diagonal paging? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

One happy use of vertical scrolling here. Phone has always been and will remain the dominate remotes used in this house by my partner and myself. We can now use it more or less for everything.

We don’t want to have a laptop in the bedroom, garden , kitchen etc to play my music, nor do we have multiple tablets. Many many of us have multizones in our homes and the mobile app makes for the most suitable controller, it’s always on your person unlike a laptop or tablet.

Don’t miss the horizontal scroll at all on PC or tablet was never a fan. Get over it, the mass majority of users asked for this for a good reason. Roon finally delivered on it.

2 Likes

I liked the paged horizontal scrolling on a landscape oriented Windows tablet - felt like flicking the pages on a book - but frankly, I’m not overly bothered by the change to vertical scrolling. After all, it was signalled as coming a long time ago. And now that it’s here, I’d like to move on, thank you very much.

An opinion that is only partially supported by customers.

2 Likes

No issue with the move to vertical scrolling, it makes sense from many points of view.

Irrespective of whether I am using an iPad or MacBook Pro, where I am vertically scrolling everywhere else, it was always odd, not continuous and non intuitive to have to horizontally scroll when I flicked over to Roon.

And if it seems that vertical was requested consistently by many, its indeed time to focus on other things that need addressing.

If you prefer page-scrolling, why don’t you use pg-up/dn on the keyboard? It does more or less exactly that.

For Mac-users I think the scrolling makes more sense even when using mouse/trackpad since the behavior is very similar to that of a touch screen driven device.

I think people under 30 would disagree :grinning:

I really like the changes you have done to scrolling and navigation, and using a line of albums with horisontal scrolling makes perfect sense to me (very similar to Adobe Lightroom that I use on a daily basis), but why did you decide on page scrolling for that particular area? I think it is a bit inconsistent and I can’t see that it adds any value.

3 Likes

Better experience for phones, maybe…but worse for horizontal screens. For screens there is nothing better and more useful than horizontal paging (not scrolling! And with more albums visible, now there are less than half album in one “page”). Maybe you could mantain horizontal paging for pc app as before, and vertical scrolling on phones. Everybody happy this way!

2 Likes

Nope, everybody will not be happy. It’s an impossible task to please everyone. The title of this thread now has [not on roadmap] in it, and that really should be the end of discussion. Roon is opinionated software, and that is the opinion of Roon Labs.

Nope, I would hate different behavior on different devices.

I do agree with you though regarding number of albums visible. I don’t understand why they removed the setting “allow for more albums/photos”.

Sorry @danny, but I feel that an answer like this can only come from a madman :slight_smile:. No insult intended!

I find it scary how with every update Roon users are ever more kennelled to “go with the program” or take the highway.

You should realize that as a small company with small brain count it’s inevitable that your customer community with high brain count and extensive field experience exceeding your own by several orders of magnitude must be smarter than you (as a company).

Very unwise to not tap this user intelligence. Very arrogant to call it invalid.

Over and over again you make design und UI decisions that are un-ergonomic for the special situation the single user finds himself in (eyesight, device, personal interest, personal taste, ways of information processing). I wouldn’t care about these decisions of yours if you had included GUI adaptability right from the start. You certainly had your reasons not to include it - I think they were in error.

I am elated by the many constructive posts that criticize what’s wrong with 1.8 - the majority coming from very smart people who are great at reasoning and communicating.

Good community, this.

9 Likes

Roon has always been opinionated software - and we’ve always been free as customers to take our custom elsewhere if we don’t like it.

1 Like

I fully agree. The only thing I ask for is that Roon should be able to explain why they take certain design decisions. As I said earlier, the rationale behind vertical smooth scrolling makes perfect sense to me, but I don’t understand why it was decided to keep page scrolling in “Recommended album”.

I :hearts: LOVE :hearts: vertical scrolling on all devices, including those with widescreen displays. Horizontal scrolling makes me dizzy and is disorienting. I’m so glad that vertical scrolling is used most places. I find horizontal scrolling to be an uncomfortable experience in places where it still exists, especially Focus.

1 Like

The new version has less functionality about albums visualization, but we don’t pay less money, so we have the right to continue the discussion as far as there is hope to make Roon reflect on their mistakes and fix it. Maybe you’re right, it’s impossible to please everyone…but in this kind of situation it’s better to please the more, and i have read tons of obvious complains about new vertical scroll with less than half albums visible, respect the previous horizontal paging with more than double albums visible. Talking about the pc app. I don’t remember ONE happy feedback about this LOST of functionality. I think that the best things would be to make it customizable via settings…chosing between horizontal paging, horizontal scrolling, vertical paging, vertical scrolling in every device. And chosing “show more”, “show less” numbers of albums (in order to take maximum benefit from big screens for example, and limit the wasted space).
That would be smart, democratic, effective, and would please everyone. Maybe more work on Roon’s shoulders, ok. But that’s the way if they want to be the best music software with best user experience. Freedom of configuration.

2 Likes

I am right. :smile:

And the more customization that is offered the greater the demand on development and support resources of the small team at Roon Labs becomes. I suspect that Roon Labs have taken a deliberate decision to minimise the amount of customization as far as possible, and with 1.8 are going for a design that is more in keeping with the design paradigms of touchscreen devices that now form the majority.

But the number of albums/photos you see has nothing to do with scrolling direction. I love the vertical scrolling but I think it’s sad that I now see less than half the number of albums I could see in earlier versions.

1 Like

That would be a nice work around if I could get it to work. When I try it, the page jumps mean on a typical text based roon view I am missing 3 or 4 tracks compared with the previous page. I can of course scroll back to get those 3 or 4 tracks but its hardly an improvement. With graphics based pages (those pages with a lot of artist circles for example), I cannot really see how you can orientate with the jumps as you are never really certain what has been skipped. It’s an easy thing anyone can try.

Maybe its settings related in Windows 10? I could try that if you had a few pointers.

1 Like