How can I insert new credit roles

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Yes, since credits of many tracks are missing or incorrect I tried to correct them.

Is the album identified in Roon?

Yes, but executor credits are missing

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local files, ripped from CDs.

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

In general, I have many files fo ancient and baroque music, often I don’t find a correct credit role for tagging my files, this set of discs is a great example with many problems:
I accept of using english name of instruments but there are many missing from the list of credit roles, for examles:

• Angelique (cd V, track 12)
  • Bassanello (cd IV, track 2)
  • Mute cornet (cd IV, track 5)
  • Conet à bouquin (cd VI, track 9)
    .etc …

How can I insert new credi roles?

Another problem : the role “Music Manuscript”’ is in “Production”’ set, but I think it should be gouped whith “Composer”', or I would like to have a role to indicate the manuscript from which a piece of ancient music (often by an anonymous composer) is taken.

First of all I would recommend to use an exteanl tag editor (such as MP3TAG on windows) to edit metadata (including credit roles).

In case you want/need to do it in Roon, you can dot this either on Album or Track level in the respective Album Editor or Track Editor.

To go to e.g. Album Editor, proceed as follows:

The documentation says:

However, Roon supports an awful lot of credit roles which are far too numerous to have their own tags; these can be added with the new ‘PERSONNEL’ tag. A long list of them is maintained here.

The general format of the PERSONNEL tag is “name - credit_role” and the credit role in the tag must match one of the recognized Roon credit roles

From: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/file-tag-best-practice

If that’s true and it must match one of the existing roles, then one would think that adding new roles is not possible.

Thank you for the replies.
I have been using roon for many years and I know that I can edit credits at both the Album editor and Track editor level, but the problem is that the list of roles provided in both these editors does not contain those that I would need for many of my files (not only those from the box set cited as an example).
There are some roles duplicated, in multiple languages (as “Bass viol” and “Basse de viole”) and other are missing (as “Angelique”).
I also tried adding, with mp3Tag, the PERSONNELtag to the file but, since the role “Angelique” does not match one existing in Roon list, I got no results. :pensive:

Probably because “the credit role in the tag must match one of the recognized Roon credit roles”.
I agree that this is not satisfying in your case. Maybe post in Feedback or Feature Suggestions

1 Like

As best I can tell, there are currently 7233 roles defined in Roon but, as you’ve noted, Angelique isn’t one of them. As @Suedkiez mentioned, post in either Feedback or Feature Suggestions to get it added.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.