How can I reproduce something similar to this structure in Roon?

Hello

I know that the folder view features was discussed at several time and I understand the pro and cons.
I have an issue that I don’t know how to solve.

I have few folders which contain recommended albums, example below with Pitchfork best ambient albums of all time (but it could have been Rolling stone 500 best albums, or other example)

My folders are organized like this and it’s easy to find what I’m looking for or to explore :

Pitchfork – the 50 best ambient albums of all time/
01 - Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports
02 - Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
03 - William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops I-IV
[…]
49 - Bing & Ruth - Tomorrow Was the Golden Age
50 – Deathprod - Morals and Dogma

How can I reproduce something similar in Roon ?
I can manually add tags like ambient and Pitchfork and use the focus but how to keep an incremental view ?

Thanks for the help.

In situations like that I just tag the whole folder with the verbose tag “The 50 Best Ambient Albums of All Time”. If the subsequent tag view is sorted by album title then you sort of get what you are looking for.

1 Like

It is easier if the folder has not yet been imported:

Add the Pitchfork folder.
Go to the Album browser.
In Focus, click on the Added diagram; in the pop-up, click on Added in the last day.
Select All.
Manage Tags, add Pitchfork 500

If the albums are already in the library, you might be able to do this, I’m not sure.
In Windows, create a Temp directory next to the Roon music directory, add it as a watched folder in Roon
Drag the Pitchfork directory from the Roon directory to Temp
Focus on storage location Temp
Select All, manage tags, add Pitchfork 500
Drag it back to the Roon folder.

I’m pretty sure that Roon will recognize that this is the same content as you move it back and forth, so the tags will persist.
And note that the movements take no time, as long as the two directories are on the same disk, next to each other. No data is moved, it is just changes to tables.

Hello

I already asked this question in another topic but the answers I got didn’t work.

I have an issue that I don’t know how to solve.

I have few folders which contain recommended albums, example below with Pitchfork best ambient albums of all time (but it could have been Rolling stone 500 best albums ever , or other example)

My folders are organized like below and it’s easy to find what I’m looking for or to explore :

Pitchfork – the 50 best ambient albums of all time/
01 - Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports
02 - Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
03 - William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops I-IV
[…]
49 - Bing & Ruth - Tomorrow Was the Golden Age
50 – Deathprod - Morals and Dogma

How can I reproduce something similar in Roon ?
I can manually add tags like ambient and Pitchfork and use the focus but is-it possible to keep an incremental view ?
These albums are already imported in Roon.

Thanks for the help.

You could create a playlist and add the albums to the playlist. As long as you add them in the correct order they will stay in that order
Only thing is it just lists the tracks so it will be a long playlist . I just added the 1st 2 albums to a playlist labelled “ambient-pitchfork “ and seems ok. You can see each change in album as you scroll down with the cover art changing. Once you find the album then you could click on one track in that album and select go to album

Please don’t create a new topic for the same question, posts now merged to preserve history.

Here’s what I would do @Alexandre_Lejeune:

• In the Tracks browser

• Add the Path column
    • Filter for the path of your folder, like: \\DISKSTATION\Music\Pitchfork – the 50 best ambient albums of all time
  • Once you’re looking at all the content in the folder, you have a few options here:

• Save a bookmark to easily get back to this view of all the tracks

• Tag all the tracks (as Pitchfork 50 Best or similar) – once the tracks are tagged, you can view that tag in the Album browser, and sort them however you want (by release date, by most played, Focused on only Rock, etc…) but note this won’t be ordered, as Tags don’t have order

• Sort the path column then add everything to a playlist. Assuming your files and folders are all ordered, you’ll end up with the whole list in a playlist, in order

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help.
Any workaround to order the album in the album browser ?
If I have a huge list (Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums for instance), it’s important for me to keep them ordered.

1 Like