How do I add a larger SSD drive for the ROON database?

Hi,
I had a small 128gb SSD drive to use as my operating system and ROON. I’d like to give the ROON database a larger 512gb drive. I want to leave the operating system where it’s att and just give ROON the new SSD drive. I run WIndows WSY2K12v2. Roon server would need to be installed as that’s what I use there.

Roon and RoonServer both require the database to be installed in %APPLOCALDATA% which is in the user’s home directory and typically on the C:\ drive.

It’s possible to move the home directory via some windows commands, but as far as I know that still leaves %APPLOCALDATA% on C:. There are mechanisms by which you can create directory links to a different location but I don’t know if anyone has gotten these to work with Roon. Definitely not a supported configuration so be careful if you go that route.

Unless your collection is huge the Roon database doesn’t get to be that large. If you’re running out of space on the 128GB SSD then it’s probably best to migrate the entire C:\ drive to the new disk. Otherwise there’s little to be gained in doing anything with it.

1 Like

Andrew is right, buying a 512 gb ssd drive only for the Roon database is a total waste of money. There is no performance to be gained by doing this. My library size is around 2gb for 4800 albums. Put your music on it for quiet operation.

2 Likes

There is a benefit of upgrading to the bigger drive in that the larger drive is faster than the entry 120gb SSD drive. A 250gb SSD would probably be the best fit and a 512gb SSD would definitely be overkill. With a bigger and faster drive there is noticeable difference not only with the Roon navigation but also with WIndows.

The only benefit of using a 512gb SSD or even a 1tb SSD for a primary drive is if your library is small enough to store your media on this drive instead of a second drive.

Even though you might be able to move the database to another drive, it would take someone that really understands the OS structure and in the future when an upgrade is done everything would revert back to the C Drive.

MD

I have a 128gb ssd system drive wich also contains the Roon database. Most of my music is on a 1TB ssd drive wich in theory is faster then the 128GB system drive. I also tried the Roon database on the bigger drive but haven’t noticed any noticable gains in practical performance, or maybe just a tiny little fraction. I would call it a close call. Defenitly not enough difference to justify the costs. A m2drive is a better option if it’s speed your concerned about. Or two 128GB drives in RAID.

CI have a friend who is a programming expert. He’s not impressed with the inability of ROON to be placed on a separate drive by itself independent if where the operating system is. I have a very large collection (several thousand CDs). So a 256 GG drive is barely large enough.

So to use a larger drive I have to format it, install a new operationg system or try to clone the one I’m using now, reinstall all programs, find all their keys, perhaps repurchase WSY2K12v2 again, install all audio related programs like Fidelizer, Project Lasso, which is extremely difficult because of all the stupid copy protection junk. Sounds like a pain, huh?

But if roon was written so it could be on a drive by itself without the operating system one could easily just install the roon system disc on your new pc when it’s updated.

One’s ROON database could be fluid and travel easily between computers when updating. One should be able to point the operating system to the ROON database drive and the update would be simple.

Have a separate ROON drive would also make it easier for one to dual boot to experiment with other operating systems and how they sound. I purchased a one tb SSD drive just for this purpose. That way no matter how large my collection would grow I wouldn’t have to update again.
Despite my not inconsiderable investment it may be time to return to or seek a new way to catalog, play, and store my music files.
Steven

I’m not sure I understand this. You seem to be confusing the Roon database (which is held in the user/Appdata hierarchy) with your collection/library of music albums (which can be held anywhere you want them to be). My library is over 1,000 CDs, and the Roon database is less than 2 GB.

Also, since version 1.3, you can use the automatic backup feature for the database to install the same database on a new installation of Roon to preserve all your edits. So the database is fluid, and can travel between computers if needed.

I believe I do understand.

The music files are on a 10tb hard drive located on my Roonserver PC.

Right now I’m using a 128gb SSD drive which has WSY2K12v2 installed as the operating system and is where ROON server and other audio related programs like Fidelizer, dbpoweramp, AudiophileOptimizer, jRiver, Project Lasso, jPlay, etc, also reside.

I would like to move ROONSERVER and associated Roon programs to a larger SSD drive by themselves (which of course would include the database) but not the music files themselves.

I would like to do one of two things.

1. Move ROONserver and it’s database and the entire operating system to the new, larger, faster, SSD drive. This is difficult because Microsoft doesn’t let you move the operating system easily and I don’t want to start over, reinstall all the programs I use.

Or

1. Just move ROONserver, its associated programs like RAAT, and the ROON database to the new SSD drive while leaving the WSY2K12v2 operating system and all the other programs on the original SSD drive to boot the computer with as usual. I’m sure ROONsever needs to be included on the same SSD drive as the database. Right, or is there a way to copy the ROON database to the new SSD drive while leaving ROONserver where it is and tell it where the database is?

How much space is Roon and its db taking up?

Russ

BTW, this post is probably still relevant:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/can-you-choose-which-disk-you-want-to-install-roon-on/624/13

Windows has a backup program wich makes an image of your entire drive and a boot CD. You can migrate your hole OS disk to a new one using this. There are also other programs available wich can migrate your entire system, like Acronis True Image. It’s actually quite easy. Done that a couple of times.

Still don’t get it why you wish a bigger SSD drive. The realworld difference in speed is hardly noticable, I know, I have both a 128gB and a 1TB drive of the same kind. The 1Tb is slightl faster if you use benchmark tests but in practice. It feels like excactly the same speed. You will never need 512GB for the Roon database. How big is the total image of your OS drive at the moment? Is it a genral purpose PC or a dedicated audio PC ? Are you going to install other software or do any audio/video/photo editing on it? If yes, a bigger drive is worthwhile, if not, it’s a waste. Invest your mony in a PCIe drive or M2 drive, these have really faster speeds, specially in a RAID setup.

NVMe M.2, yes, SATA M.2 – it’s the same, no? just a smaller form factor.