How do I avoid audio cable

My Roon server, a laptop with CD drive, running my music library with ALC CD rips, is connected to my home network via Ethernet. When I stream music wirelessly to either AirPort Express(es) or CCA(s), or group each type together, the music never misses a beat. Does that mean I am already using RAAT?

No…

It means you’re using Airplay 1 or Chrome Cast (Cast? whatever Google is calling it).

There isn’t a single thing wrong with either of these set-ups until you become a freak for protocols like me then get way way too deep in understanding the pros / cons of the differences and how they may affect sound quality… But that’s about as much fun for most people as debating silver coated cooper in digital cables so… Sometimes it’s more important to just enjoy the music. :slight_smile:

If you were to look for an “upgrade” then a Roon Ready streamer is a good way to, possibly, experience a bump in sound quality while using something that supports RAAT. A, possibly, cheaper way is get something that simply runs Roon Bridge like a spare laptop or Raspberry Pi. Some hear a difference (good or bad) and some don’t. I use possibly a lot because I don’t believe in absolutes when it comes to this hobby. Everyone has a different environment and priority and therefore hears things differently.

What has been puzzling me (in a good way though) is that if I run iTune and AirPlay music to AirPort Express, the music often stutters or simply stops playing; whereas if I AirPlay using Roon, the music doesn’t miss a beat wherever the endpoint is. I thought Roon has some kind of secret sauce to make the wireless playing so reliable. (This makes my Roon sub all the more worthwhile).

Will look into the Roon Ready devices. Thank you.

One of the problems with Airplay is it requires touching the “source”. In the case of Roon this is the Core. In the case of iTunes it’s probably your phone or tablet? Anyway, network capacity and source horsepower for sure.

Lord, give me strength…

3 Likes

This is beginning to sound like the Zen iFi thread with Rudy :scream:. Troll alert?

2 Likes

Tian
You can try it for a month and see and always if you notice a difference.
Mostly depending if you have any MQA capable DACS and Streamers, if you don’t I would generally say it is not worth the difference, but that’s just my opinion and YMMV

Yes lots of us have old CCA laying about lazily in boxes and they make quite a nice Roon endpoint

Mike

1 Like

…The Lord helps those that help themselves…:wink:

1 Like