How do I connect my NAD C338 to the Roon core?

I’ve got a NAD C338 sitting on my WiFi network, same as my Roon core, with built-in Googlecast. Somehow I can’t find it when setting things up in core. How do I connect it?

AFAIK your amp doesn’t have BlueOS which is what Roon will connect to.
Roon (currently) isn’t Google Cast compatible.

.sjb

Too bad. Thx for the reply though!

1 Like

I have a NAD C338 that I picked up refurbished. With Roon’s current support for Chromecast now, it works just fine, yay - also correctly fires the MQA Core decoder on any master tracks prior to passing them along.

Does this mean I can now actually play MQA files from, say, Tidal on the C338?

Hi @Jos_Birken
You have many Raspberry based streamers you can use (better if you have network cable near your amp. If not , WiFi will work too, I never tested it, and you will have to buy a compatible wifi dongle).

1. Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry - (it is a pi board and another hat board attached to the pi) both $100
  2. Allo digo one series - $150 to $250

You use both with ropieee (freeware) software, that is a Roon endpoint. Very easy to install.

Both have coaxial spdif out you can plug into your Amp.
Better solution than the chromecast regarding sound quality!

Antônio

1 Like

Thanks, Antonio! One question about the Raspberry Pi setup - is there a solution for fanless cooling? I’m a little bit worried about the noise

The pi doesn’t have a fan, passively cooled.

I know. But we live in a hot climate (Singapore) so I anticipate that we will need to build in some form of extra cooling

You can use a passive cooling case, a lot of the users on the forum use this one.
If you go to the hardware part of this forum there are lots of pi discussions that might help.

1 Like

I live in Johannesburg , Temps 28-35 in summer my Pi never seems to have an issue . Mine is in an Allo acrylic case no cooling solution, its even hidden in a drawer live with it monitor it