Roon Core Machine

Lenovo 16gb laptop

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Verizon 1gb router

Connected Audio Devices

iPhone X, iPad

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Finally updated my laptop and all is working well. Arc is working in car both with Bluetooth and CarPlay. But, what do I need to do to get Arc to play 24/192 files?

Set Roon ARC to play “Original Format” over cellular. However, an iPhone requires an attached DAC to play higher than 16/44.1 (CD quality). Otherwise, it will get downsampled. I don’t think CarPlay does high resolution either. However, if you plug into an auxiliary input, you might get high resolution. It hardly matters due to road noise.

Thanks, no aux input. so if I got say a dragon fly, from iPhone to usb in car, that would work. But, when I plug in to usb it goes straight to CarPlay. How do I get around that?

The only way I have figured out to get around CarPlay via USB in is to install Roon ARC on an iPad. However, a Dragonfly has 3.5 mm out, so you can’t use USB. Anything out of a DAC is analog, not digital.

Is that true? I can stream 192/24 from Qobuz from my iPhone.

Your iPhone will downsample if you don’t attach a DAC.

You can stream it, but it will get downsampled on the phone. As @Jim_F wrote you need an external DAC.

I think you are right. But, I am trying to shuffle all songs in library which Qobuz doesn’t do. I have a Roon playlist of all songs in library that I play in ARC. but I am trying to get 24/192 thru Arc for this

Yes, it’s true.You can stream 192/24, but you will need a DAC to play 192/24.

No, he is not right. An iPhone cannot do high resolution without an external DAC. It will downsample.

You in a car hardly the best hifi environment why bother with hires at all, youre unlikely to get any benefit from it.

1 Like

I know, just curious. Before I spend money