How do I get Nucleus to work?

No, no, no - that “Music Folder” IS your “Internal Storage” folder… It’s even telling you that you’ve imported 10,455 tracks to it from your laptop HDD.

Think of the “Internal Storage” name as the name given to that location by the operating system - it is the default location for your library on a Nucleus, and that default location is known, to Roon, as the “Music Folder”.

1 Like

@Geoff_Coupe

Oh dear, what a mess! Sorry about this, must be breathtaking to witness such stupidity :joy:

I’ll unwatch the Nucleus network folder I found again and rewatch the Music Folder…

Just opened the Settings > Storage option and the Music Folder has been renamed as Nucleus Internal Storage. Must be the v1.5 update that did that. That’s a more foolproof name certainly! :grinning:

It’s OK, we all had to learn our way around a new environment… And the Roon environment is very different to traditional music players. For many folks, learning to let go of thinking about disc folders and files, and instead think about compositions and album releases instead is a major hurdle.

Yes true, and actually Roon is my first use of music player software. Always a CD listener before Roon. It’s really the computer side of things that I find hard.

Now, I hate to bring it up, but look back to the message from Dylan:

In it he describes the best way to preserve all the edits you had made to your library when it was running on the Core on your laptop, and, cough, the best way is to have restored the Roon database backup on your Nucleus while it is still empty of music files.

So, @dylan - we have the situation here that the music files are already in place. Is there a procedure to restore a backup painlessly in this situation? I really hope that @woo will not have to empty the Music Folder, restore the backup and then have to go through copying the files across again…

@Geoff_Coupe

To be honest, I did skip the Database backup part yesterday…My technohobia overrides commonsense at times. So I guess I can’t do much about that now.

On the positive side, I’ve already started sorting out my faulty albums - just finished the daunting Beethoven String Quartets box-set and a few Miles Davis double albums too. Fortunately, I only have 850 albums and it’s only a small minority that need sorting out - usually album covers and just a few disc Merges and track reorderings to do.

I’m just glad my Nucleus SSD now has the music onboard despite my best efforts to prevent it! :grinning:

Hey @Woo,

Just to confirm here — You never restored a backup of your database on the Nucleus at any point?

@dylan Correct, and I’ve never done any backups with Roon.

I’ve now managed to get my Sony DAC working and the Chromecast is visible now too. The weird thing is, whereas in my laptop the Sony DAC was available as WASAPI or ASIO outputs, on the Nucleus it only says ALSA. Never saw that option with th the laptop…its playing now but I had to go in to the menus and switch it to DoP to get DSD, whereas the ASIO option I could outpit Natively and it didn’t show up on the Signal Path bar. With ALSA you can see Encapsulation in the pathway:

Any explanations or ideas on what’s happening here?

Thanks for confirming, @Woo.

If you’re still interested in bringing over your previous database to your Nucleus please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Connect to your previous Roon Core.
  2. Go to Settings > Storage and disable all watched folders.
  3. Create a backup of Roon from Settings > Backup.
  4. Connect a USB drive containing the backup to your Nucleus.
  5. Restore this backup on your Nucleus.
  6. Go to Settings > Storage and confirm that only the Internal Storage folder is enabled.

Once done, your existing database should now be on your Nucleus. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Dylan

It’s simply different technology and terminology between the two platforms: Windows was the operating system used in your laptop, and Linux is the basis of the operating system used in the Nucleus.

Oh right. So it’ll still play my DSD256 files? I thought DoP couldn’t do that… Let’s try it…

I’m playing a DSD256 track right now and the DAC shows its receiving just that - DSD256. Thanks Geoff.

But does this mean that the Nucleus can’t output Native DSD with my DAC?

@dylan

Thanks for setting out the steps for Backup there. It looks a bit complex and frightening right now. I might attempt it tomorrow when I’ve got more time. I’ll need to do backups in any case so will be good to learn l.

DOP can encapsulate DSD 256 because the Sony can do 768kHz PCM.

If you ever wanted to try DSD512, however, you would need to have the Sony plugged into a Windows box running the Sony Drivers.

That is correct at the moment. Native DSD requires the OS (Linux, in this case) to be patched for each individual DAC.

1 Like

Switched on my stereo this morning and starting playing through my Chromecast Audio. Then thought I’d switch over to my Sony DAC. Selected the DAC from the Audio Zone menu but it wouldn’t play any music. So I went to Settings > Audio, disabled then re-enabled the DAC, then everything just disappeared from the Connected to Core area. It previously showed the HDMI output and the Sony DAC bit now shows nothing. Refreshing doesn’t resolve the issue. What should I do?

Just to clarify, the Nucleus has been switched on since installationand I’m still getting music through the Chromecast Audio right now.

First, turn your Sony DAC off, and then back on. If refreshing the “Connected to Core” section in the Audio Settings page then doesn’t bring the device back, then I would try rebooting the Nucleus using the Reboot option on the Nucleus’ administration web page:

Thanks Geoff. Should’ve mentioned I’ve already tried switching the Sony off and on again, then trying Refresh. No effect.

I’ll try the reboot now…How do I see the Nucleus Web admin page? *

• Just noticed I still have that page available on my laptop. Can’t recall how I got it up there before though?

Go to the Settings/General page in Roon. At the top it shows your Core (which should have the name Nucleus). Under it is the IP address of your Nucleus. Enter that address into your web browser, and you should get the administration page.

Thanks. As mentioned above, I still have the page up on my laptop from yesterday, so just Rebooted it there.

I just clicked the Roon icon on my desktop and it’s asking to Choose your Roon Core. Only my PC is available as a choice. I tried searching for Roon Core and it just keeps spinning. My iPad just says Lost Connection. Should I use the ‘Select a different core’ option on the iPad?

Wait until the Roon Core of the Nucleus is up and running. Then you should see it. It may take a minute or so.

Still not there on the Choose Roon Core laptop screen or iPad after a few minutes :confused: