How do I stop my Mac from trying to use AirPlay?

Roon Core Machine

Apple MacBook Pro (15" 2017)
Cataline 10.15.7
3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin Media Hub 3 connected to laptop via ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi 4b with Allo BOSS DAC connected to router via ethernet & to analogue amp via standard phono.

Number of Tracks in Library

Right now, just over 3,000.

Description of Issue

Hi again.

Okay, let’s see if I can get this sorted, because I’m doing something stupid & I just can’t get it figured out!

I have a Raspberry Pi4b connected to my router via ethernet & the Pi’s DAC is connected to the Aux out of my amp.

Having installed Roon Core on my laptop, I pointed it to the LOSSLESS folder on an external hard drive (connected to my laptop) as my library.

I selected the Raspberry Pi as the output device & it now says “via AirPlay” with an IP address.

I don’t have airplay, I just need it to play via ethernet, but I can’t seem to remove the device or edit its output.

Any thoughts?

What OS do you have installed on the Pi? Is Roon Bridge installed? If the Roon Core doesn’t detect the Pi as RAAT output device, I am inclined to think that RAAT (Roon Bridge) is not present or not correctly configured. On the other hand, that Roon recognizes the Pi as Airplay device may indicate that you have RoPieee XL installed and have the Shairport part activated…

Well, I did have Volumio installed (because that’s what I was using before being introduced to Roon) & not having much on an understanding of these things, didn’t really give it a second thought.

I’ve now installed RoPieee XL, but my Pi seems to have died, which is a whole different problem & not one I can really expect people where to help with. :rofl:

Ok, that explains the Airplay and lack of RAAT… I believe it is possible to install Roon Bridge over Volumio, though.

What makes you think so? The setup of RoPieee sometimes can be a little fickle, so I suggest to strictly follow the excellent Beginner’s Guide. One important point to be careful with is that for setup you must connect the Pi using an Ethernet cable. Once it is set up with WiFi enabled, the Ethernet connection is not required anymore.

By the way, if you don’t need Airplay or UPnP or Spotify Connect support on the Pi, you should install RoPieee instead of RoPieee XL. It is smaller and simpler, and if needed you can always later ‘upgrade’ it to the XL version from your Pi’s RoPieee web interface.

1 Like

Okay. I’m not sure what happened back there, but the Pi is now working again. I have RoPieee & there are green lights all over the place! :slight_smile:

So, nothing’s showing up in my Roon preferences Audio section. What do I do next?

First thing is to make sure that RoPieee is really up and visible on your network. How do you have it connected? WiFi or Ethernet? You can try to go to http://ropieee.local if you don’t know the Pi’s IP. If you do know the IP, try to go to http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd. Does RoPieee’s web interface show up? Did you set up your Allo Boss DAC on this web interface? If not properly set up, Roon won’t be able to talk to it.

Thank you, that solved my problem! Seems to be playing perfectly now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.