How do you move things around when you have ROCK?

NUC i3.

Wired, Netgear switch

PS Audio DirectStream, Bridge II.

Does anyone know how to move things around using a MacBookPro to access one’s drives in Linux?

What do you mean by move things around?

1 Like

I was going to ask the same thing. I’m also curious about, “using a MacBookPro to access one’s drives in Linux”

1 Like

Well, like I have a 1.5TB folder. I want to move it onto another drive. But from my MBP, doing that is locked. Or, I have a few folders of music on my MBP I’d like to put on the drive once I have the big folder off. Again, locked.

Hmmmm…where is the 1.5 TB “big folder” being stored now? Is this storage internal to the NUC or attached to the NUC via USB? What filesystem are you using (exFAT, NTFS, FAT32, EXT4, or something else)? How about the target drive for this folder?

Depending on the filesystems you are using and storage types (internal drives vs. USB), it may be easier to organize your content how you want by temporarily moving the drives to another system.

ROCK exposes storage via SMB share \rock\data

On MAC finder -> Go -> Connect to Server
smb://rock/data

Guest access.

The drives are all USB, and they’re formatted for a Mac.

Yes, I know. But once I do that, the drives are locked.

Hmm, how are the drives connected? As far as I’m aware, ROCK can not read APFS, but I’ve never tried.

Reads them fine and fast. They’re wired USB

Well, after a minute or two of googling, I can’t find a way to write to an APFS formatted drive from Linux, so that’s likely the problem.

I’d suggest reading this article and selecting one of the filesystems that Roon recommends. They seem to favor exFAT. I see no mention of APFS.

There are ways to do it on Linux… but you run significant risk of data corruption. Also, the “hack” cannot be implemented on ROCK.

You could keep the drives on the Mac and expose them as a “share” back to ROCK but then your MAC would need to be left on. Best to get the data off, reformat as exFat (or if you have a Linux machine you can use ext4), and then you’d be good to go.

1 Like

I have reasons for leaving them as is. As long as they’re readable by ROCK, that’s what I’ll do.

BTW, the music itself, the library, the whole thing, is so much quicker now.

Wasn’t meaning to be mysterious - I’ll also be playing the files in Audirvana.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.