How does tagging work?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 on PC I7 cpu 860@2.80GHz 2.80 ghz. Ram 8Gb
Roon version 1.7 (build 667) stable (64 bit)
Nucleus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Telenet modem /router via Netgear Prosafe GS105E switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Cambridge Audio Azur 851N (network player) and Azur 850A (Amplifier).

Connected via WiFi to the Roon Core

Description Of Issue

I would like to know how to switch between “my tags”and “shared tags’.
Is there kind of Roon library with (suggested) tags?
Adding “ROONALBUMTAG” or “ROONTRACKTAG” seems not to be possible in Foobar2K
And how can it be that when clicking on “Focus on similar” on an album without any (visible) tag, Roon tells me I should try to remove Focus criteria?

Thanks once again for the feedback.

1 Like

Firstly you must differentiate between FLAC Tags and Roon Tags

FLAC/MP3 tags are a way of storing metadata within the file

Roon tags are a way of creating a Collection of say albums, you create a Tag say MyBox then add albums to it

You will need a Tagger that supports Custom Tags , I use my JRiver setup but I think MP3Tag supports them, that’s free

You do any file tag changes outside of Roon. ROONALBUMTAG is useful for box sets, it creates Roon Tags automatically on import

Eg if you import a 10 Album/CD box , before you do set ROONALBUMTAG to MyBox externally , as you import your 10 box, the tag is created and the 10 albums are added to it

Roon Tags are fixed, if you want to add moe it’s manual

Bookmarks on the other hand are dynamic , you set a Rule eg Composer = Beethoven using the Focus Tool , after that any new albums obeying that rule added next time you open that bookmark

Have a look in the knowledge base

Clear as mud :sunglasses:

The Focus things is Roon Speak for can’t find a match !

EDIT

Tag Scanner does allow Custom Tags , I can’t see how MP3Tag does it, if it does

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.