How long have you been running Roon and what changes have you made to its setup?

Roon now up and running for 5 months with no issues.

When I initially looked at Roon I had no way to get it to my Hifi and luckily early in the new year I looked in again to see that Squeezebox was now an option.
I started off with it running on my main desktop PC, sending music to a Squeezebox attached to my DAC.
Then I got a NUC to run headless using the Roon server and connected it via USB to the DAC ( and utilised its ability to integrate with HQPLAYER at this stage)
I ran Roon to another Squuezebox connected to a Naim superuniti in the TV room.
I used AirPlay to het it to the Naim UniQute in the bedroom.
With the help of @RBM I now have replaced this with a €55 RoonBridged Pi that I can control on my iPhone, none of which were available 5 months ago.

Terms like game changer are bandied about all too frequently in this hobby, but I have never enjoyed my music so much as I do now.

How long have you Rooned and how far have you travelled?

SJB

1 Like

Quite similar to you, except that I’ve been using Roon for about a year now.

Started with Roon running on my MacBook Pro, directly connected to a USB DAC.
Then I got a MiniPC (NUC like) to run RoonServer. And finally RoonBridged a BeagleBone Black that now sits next to the DAC and that I either control from a tablet or the Mac, depending on if I’m at the computer doing something or not.
Lastly added a linear power supply to the BBB.
Enjoyed the results a lot so in a few months when I upgrade some things on the hi-fi system I’ll likely try a Sonore microRendu in the place of the BBB.

1 Like

Started with Roon on Win2012R2 feeding a DAC directly as there was no Linux release yet. Roon is the first software in almost 20 years to make me install a copy of Windows on anything. When Squeezebox integration was announced I ended Squeezebox/LMS use (after having started using it early 2000’s and it being my music streaming solution until Roon emerged) and used Squeezelite on a Wandboard and a SBT as endpoints. The second the Linux build was released I switched and as soon as Roon Bridge was released it ended my use of Squeezelite. I now use two NUCs and two ODROID C2’s as endpoints and everything is running on Linux. Roon Server and music stored on same machine.

1 Like

Started in July 2015, installing Roon on my desktop PC and running a 5m USB cable to the Vega DAC. I tried coaxial S/PDIF also, but preferred USB.

I purchased a 1TB SSD to hold all my ripped music, installed it in various locations, including off the router.

After Roon Server was released I found an i7 BRIX on eBay that someone had won as a prize and snapped it up for a good price. That has performed flawlessly as a server and provided an excellent home for the SSD. Still using Win2012R2 (AO) because of the ease of configuring HQP by RDP, but a minimal Debian Roon Server can be dual booted.

When HQP was integrated I moved to that and after running through various small devices as an NAA stuck with the CuBox-i. A microRendu is on its way.

A RoonReady Aries is a second source for the Vega (XLR). A Pi 2 Design HAT on a raspberry Pi will soon provide a headphone endpoint in the bedroom.

I was a Squuezebox/LMS user for years. It’s a fantastic community with very clever and creative solutions. I used IPeng as a controller and thought there was nothing to beat it, until Roon came along. At this time, I run Roon Core on a headless Windows 10 laptop connected to and hidden around my router. My endpoint is a Squeezebox Touch attached to a hi speed hub and Dragonfly V1.2 Dac. It sounds and performs very well. When money allows I would like to employ my old Vortexbox Server as a Linux Core and convert a currently redundant Pi into an extra endpoint for the kitchen. Fun times ahead

1 Like

I began with Roon in January this year. Originally it (Roon Server) was installed on my homebuild Windows 10 Pro server, but recently I’ve moved it to an Intel NUC (also running Windows 10 Pro).

I did this for energy efficiency; the Intel NUC is running 24/7 because it hosts our Home Automation system, while the original server is in on-demand mode. Since we listen to music much more than we sit down to watch a film or a recorded TV show, it made sense to move Roon to the NUC.

It has a 256 GB SSD for the OS and the Domoticz and Roon databases, while the music library (mainly FLAC files) is held on an internal 1TB 2.5” hard drive. The SSD is ludicrously over-the-top, being a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe. As someone once said: ‘Although it is fully understood scientifically, the phenomenon of “gullibility” has been experienced by many audiophiles’.

More info on the setup here.

1 Like

I’ve been running Roon since Day 1 – 10 minutes into my trial I paid for life. Over the last 10 years, I’ve been going the Airplay > Squeezebox/LMS > Sonos > Sooloos route. Coming from Sooloos, I did not only see Roon coming early, but also had the infrastructure (Sooloos endpoints) already in place.

Before getting Roon, I took a leap of faith, sold my Sooloos Core and got myself a Mac mini. When the Squeezebox and HQP integrations happened last year, I got my first Pi. When Roon for Linux appeared, I sold the mini and got myself a NUC running Roon Server on Linux.

I’ve been listening and comparing the Pi/Digi+ to my main Sooloos Endpoint (Meridian MS600) until my ears turned blue and – running Roon Bridge on the Pi – could not hear a difference (it probably helps that my Meridian DSP5200 speakers can upsample/aspodise themselves). I shelved the MS600 for about a month, listening only through the Pi. When I still did not miss it after a few weeks, I sold it as well. After all the selling and buying had been done, Roon had paid for itself – and then some.

So, for now:

• NUC i5 server, running Roon Server on Linux off an NVME SSD, with 2x 2TB external disks attached for files & backup
  • Raspberry Pi & Hifiberry Digi+ w/ linear PSU, running Roon Bridge, connected to a pair of Meridian DSP5200 speakers
  • Raspberry Pi & IQAudio DAC+, running Roon Bridge, connected to AKG550 headphones
  • Cubox-i1, running Roon Bridge, connected by optical to a Meridian F80 in the bedroom

Everything is 100% stable and lightning fast. It’s kind of ridiculous how well these little endpoints perform and how easily Roon facilitates high quality distributed audio, without getting caught up in buggy, old protocols, inferior (third party) software or proprietary infrastructure.

Yes, there’s still room for improvement – and Roon is still growing up at an alarming speed.

But boy, do I love this.

3 Likes

Lifetime member since Augusr last year.

Roon installed on a dedicated Windows 10 i7 laptop with an Internal SSD and music library on 2tb HDD attaché via USB. Other USB out to DAC. An iPad is used as a remote.

Not changed any of this. No need works great very stable and fast.

Have Roonbridge on another PC in the office and two other zones one in the kitchen and one linked to the home theater. These had airport express wireless receivers but I changed them out a little while ago to Hifiberry’s with Roonbridge. A definite improvement in sound quality and great to be able to sync all zones in the house. Even with no knowledge of Linux I was able to get these running with the great instructions in this forum.

I’m loving the combination with Tidal. Ive added about an Album a day to my library since August and listened to nearly 6000 tracks :blush: Enjoying long forgotten chestnuts and great new stuff (some recommended on this forum, thanks Andybob and SJB and Evand in particular.) No thinking about upgrades and changes for now, This is what our hobby is all about. Thanks Roon.

1 Like

Another squeezebox adoption path here. I ran Squeezeserver/LMS for many years (since about the time Logitech acquired Slimserver). Still using a Modwright Transporter and Touch, but now with Roon. For a while I dual-booted my Linux LMS server along with my new Gigabyte BRIX Roon server, but these days I only use Roon.

I plan to move Roon to Linux on my next computer upgrrade cycle, and perhaps look for a MQA-enhanced DAC assuming the standard becomes more widely adopted. I find high Rez audio to be a waste of time relative to my hearing ability, which simplifies my choices for the future.

I am delighted with the quality of Roon, love the Tidal integration and wish only for better library capabilties to help me manage my classical music collection of over 10,000 works (LP’s + Digital). Ripping LP’s to digital and managing the digital collection remains a goal for the future. Today’s Roon looks to the future a lot more than back to the past glories of recording in other media.

1 Like

Just landed in the country of the Roon.

Still using the trial-period (started three days ago) :slight_smile:

I have been playing music fro my hard drive and Spotify for several years through Squeezebox Classic (first) and now 1 Touch in the main space with a AMC hybrid amplifier and Focal speakers, and the sleeping room with the Duet and auto-amplified monitors Prodipe Pro5

Someone told me about the Roon server and its capabilities and I have moved from Spotify to Tidal Hi-Fi and from LMS to Roon in the same day.

Lot to learn, and still fighting with little configuration issues :slight_smile:

See if I stay or not, nothing decided yet

You should try Qobuz also.

Strongly agree. For us, Roon and Qobuz are a “partnership”. I do think there is a “problem” with many who come upon Roon. They may be uncertain how to set it up and then ponder whether they should subscribe. Personally, I saw personally Roon and Qobuz as a “year’s commitment” and ended the rumination as to whether I should or should not. That may be unfair since, for some, that may be a substantial amount of money in the current economic strife.

let me start with Tidal, Qobuz sure is a great thing but I have no room for more changes

It’s not really a change, just an addition.

My Roon setup is largely the same as I described here 4 years ago. I still use a Core i7 Gigabyte BRiX running ROCK. When I wrote then it used to be on Windows 10, and and I have to say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the ROCK as it has been totally seamless, not getting disrupted by Windows dramas around updates, viruses, and mysterious background services. Never going back to Windows for audio!

Connections: Gigabit Ethernet connected to my old Logitech (Modwright modded) Transporter, which is mostly connected to a Shiit Ragnarock integrated amplifier which runs speakers, and Audeze LCD-2 headphones. I also listen at my ethernet-connected iMac via Fostex headphones via to a Dragonfly Red (MQA) dac/headphone amp. Not serious listening, but nice to have when working on the computer My “big” stereo system is also connected to the Transporter analog outputs. That system utilizes Magneplanar 1.6qr speakers, bi-amped with a pair of Citation II tube amps and a First Sounds preamp. That’s the system through which I play mostly classical albums on vinyl, probably 60%, with the remainder being popular music and the occasional modern digital classical album via Tidal on Roon.

So to answer your question, I’d say about 5 years running Roon, and the only big change was moving from Windows 10 to ROCK on the same hardware. I’m a huge fan of the interface, the information and insights into the music as an added value, and the graphic controls on my Android phone or my Apple iPad. The thing I like least about Roon is finding specific classical music, both in my own collection and via Tidal. Searching for the same work across different soloists, conductors, and orchestras should be straightforward, but it’s often incredibly difficult. When I ran Logitech Media Services, I organized my own digital files by composer and by work, mostly ignoring albums. Roon is very album-oriented, so pulling out works is not very easy.

Hope you enjoy your journey!

February 2018. Started on my PC (Win10) then added a Nucleus and Qobuz when it became available. I had a library of about 2K albums. Since I added Qobuz that’s increased to about 3K.

Quite nebby into Roon World of Adventures

4 months

Step 1

Previous changes to assure Roon’s functionality

Move from Intel Atom to i3 to install under W10 the Roon software where I had the LMS

Step 2

Disconnect Squeezebox Touch (now working as a nice watch on the main stereo equipment)

Buy a ProJect S2 Ultra

Buy a DAC Topping D10s

Sold a DAC Topping D10s

Buy a ProJect Usb Dac

Buy a new set of Gigabit PLC

Sold a old set of 10/100 PLC

(Last change for solving connectivy issues)