How Many Cores For Roon

One Roon endpoint, no local music, 700 Tidal and Qobuz albums in library. Crossfeed and max PCM power of 2, no room correction. 12 available cores.

I used this setup on a 4core i5 from 2009 and it was running perfectly, so your settings are fine. Nothing to worry about. :partying_face:

What settings? I have bounced around based on conflicting advice. Give me a number please between 1 and 12. Thanks. Absent someone looking at my setup and giving me a number, I’m going to 4 and leaving it there.

Also, how much RAM for photos and artwork? Right now I have 2 GB allocated out of 32 GB available.

Thats fine.

1 Like

Also fine!

1 Like

No worries, you are now ready for lots of new albums and zones.

1 Like

Thanks (10 characters).

1 Like

I am with you on this one, something to not even worry about. My processor is like the OP and only runs about 10% maximum most of the time so I do no tweaking at all, just let the operating system do its thing and allocate. I’m also running my install on a circa 2006 Dell Workstation with 2xXeon processors, 32GB of RAM and it hardly breaks a sweat running Roon as well as other programs. I keep thinking I should get a new computer but…“if it ain’t broke” ha ha.

On ROCK or Nucleus it makes sense to just to set it at max or all but one and let roon use whatever it wants. On a dedicated (probably headless) music server with Windows/MacOS I would just typically use 75-80% of cores - thus letting roon get on as quickly as needed with any work its doing at the time it needs them while leaving some for the OS to have at the ready should it need some housekeeping.

Remember this is a max setting -its not like roon is going to be hammering all the cores its able to use all the time…its on demand.

In my case, this is my laptop that I use for everything, not just Roon. It’s the only computer in the house.

This is the first time you have noted its the only computer you have so in that case just use more when you are importing music and want it to complete its work and less when just playing music. It’s not a slow machine so I doubt you will really notice too much difference based on your other apps use at the same time. Again roon will use what it has access to on demand - its unlikely this would be continuous unless you wipe out your database and rescan everything.

The other thing is just try it at 11 and use it that way and see if you can notice any performance issues doing other things…its not like setting it 12 is going to swamp your machine.

What do you mean by importing music? I don’t have any music of my own. I don’t plan to buy any. I simply stream from Tidal and Qobuz using Roon. I have allocated 4 cores out of the 12.

then it probably wont matter how many you allocate. Unless you start doing heavy DSP related things and even then for one zone maybe no benefit. Leave it at 4 and you will be fine. Now go enjoy your music and dont worry about the tech :nerd_face:

1 Like

I stated this earlier in the thread. If you only stream, none of the core settings matter. They will never be used. The only setting that will make a difference is the parallelise sigma delta setting which allows playback on more than one core, and that is only needed if you are making heavy demands with DSD upsampling or convolution.

The nucleus + has just 2 cores does it not? Why need any more if Roons own server does not have more. I guess it may have been a design choice to keep it passively cooled, but is it necessary to have more.

It all depends. There are libraries and DSP uses which exceed the +. The very few who would need better than a + will have to custom build; and there have been a couple on the forums over the years. I am sure that the Roon guys would be happy to help those few with suggestions on specs.