How much extra would you be willing to pay Tidal for MQA content?

I would gladly pay extra for Tidal…not a cent more for MQA

I think it is properly prices as is with Tidal HiFi $20 Cdn here. I changed from Deezer to Tidal for the MQA content, so that is a $5 dollar difference. I think many bought/traded for a MQA enabled DAC and did the same as I. As a aside to that the Soundiiz platform is useful for saving and transferring all your playlists. (https://soundiiz.com/login)

I’d pay more to get true HD. And maybe a bit more (only if needed to help Tidal survive) for MQA, maybe $5/mo.

As to musicians not getting as much money - this seems to be more of a contractual issue between the musicians and their “labels” than it is with the industry. Music sales are actually growing a lot lately, mostly due to streaming. Many musicians aren’t getting their fair share, but again, that’s not so much the fault of the streaming services (esp Tidal who pays a bit more to artists/labels), but more about the changing nature of the industry. Fact is that more money is now flowing from us users/listeners/consumers to those who make or sell the music.

1 Like

Nothing for MQA but would pay a bit extra as part of clubbing together to get Qobuz to play ball and integrate with Roon. Then I’d replace Tidal.

1 Like

Zero, nada, nothing.

$0 extra for MQA

I would pay $0 for MQA.

I would pay more for integration of a streaming service that provides true HD, DSD, even 16/44.1 FLAC without the threat of MQA.

2 Likes

I would be willing to pay a bit more for Tidal lossless than the current price, and a bit more for MQA (maybe from 200 NOK to 250 for lossless, and to 300 NOK for MQA).
In another lifetime (before I became a single dad) I would have been willing to pay quite a bit more for both, but priorities change.

$0, not one cent for MQA.

$50/month for Tidal lossless.

Double that for MQA.

2 Likes

5/10 easy I love the remix of the music and so much of it. It’s not about mqa at all for me really it’s all about the remix for hi end Audio users like us.
SHM is the same I own many of them. And even the pcm layer of the sacd is wonderful

It would pay U $ 0,
Roon has no music. It depends on other partners or your own songs in the library.
I signed Roon for tidal and HQplayer.
Sorry to go back to this: But Roon would have more weight convincing spotify to be another partner.

I would pay £0 more than I do now. I think the current hifi price is already too high considering its not all hifi

The OP asked how much more you would pay Tidal for MQA content, not Roon. Then I assume your answer would be the same in either case.

wouldn’t pay more for MQA, it’s snakeoil to my tired ears.

Interface and decent, glitch free streaming is far more important. In fact Ive just switched (again) to Qobuz this weekend because of glitchy streaming via Tidal.

I would pay more overall for the RIGHT streaming service. As long as the extra funds are primarily for the artists.

Could that be because Tidal are fiddling the books in order to pay certain artists more at the expense of others?

My comment about the musicians was based mostly on the overall streaming realm. Tidal is just a bit above being a rounding error at this point in the big scheme. Hopefully Tidal can keep going or at least have their content accessible to Roon (currently Spotify won’t make their content available to Roon via Roon’s backend needs - as per earlier Roon posts and of course there’s the MQA issue for a non-Tidal streaming source still TBD). I suspect there is certainly some shenanigans by Tidal (likely by every company), but the bigger issue of what’s going on in the music industry isn’t likely much driven by some data manipulation by Tidal. It’s more about fundamental changes in the way people do things now, i.e. they don’t buy CDs or downloads as much; rather they stream. Similar to the changes in the video industry which now puts Netflix, etc. as dominant sources of content. The game moves forward…

Allegedly.

The question is "How much extra is Tidal paying for the MQA availability? If an extra fee is just a margin boost for them then I’d be against it.
Pricing for the top of the line service is already sky high.

I’d pay more for Tidal, but MQA? I don’t have much interest in MQA.